I need some helps with a car insurance claim rejection

bubble

hi assembled collective

I need some divine guidance

Traveling home, we stopped and three cars piled in the back of us, damaging my caravan

The back of the caravan is damaged, the caravan is not insured as its only worth circa £1500

The car that went in the back of me says he stopped and was then pushed into me, by the cars behind

His insurance company use a claims handling company, they have refused to accept and even entertain my claim as they are 'not at fault' [ as their car was pushed ] and have told me to claim off the car at the back!!!, they won't let me input a claim!!

what is my next step, go to the last car insurance? use a claims company?

help!

How do you know your car isn't damaged ? The shunt could have bent your tow bar. The fact that your caravan isn't insured doesn't matter, it doesn't have to be. Get onto your insurer they will be able to deal with all of this. Do you have legal cover on your policy, may come in handy if you start to struggle

Comparison sites have caused most insurers to strip down the extras that were commonly included on comprehensive policies a few years ago. Some will remember the term "FULLY comprehensive"

For example many will still think they are insured to drive another car (on 3rd party risk) provided it is insured by someone else: That is no longer the case unless specifically stated on your policy. I learned the hard way about that and exploited a crafty technicality to get me off the charge a few years ago that could have cost me dearly: A driving with no insurance conviction might have compromised my FAC.

I would imagine the towing trailers and caravans cover has also been stripped unless specified too. Look at your policy before assuming anything is now covered. Hope it gets sorted but be glad that it is only the caravan that got damaged IMO.

Edited by Dave-G

Comparison sites have caused most insurers to strip down the extras that were commonly included on comprehensive policies a few years ago. Some will remember the term "FULLY comprehensive"

For example many will still think they are insured to drive another car (on 3rd party risk) provided it is insured by someone else: That is no longer the case unless specifically stated on your policy. I learned the hard way about that and exploited a crafty technicality to get me off the charge a few years ago that could have cost me dearly: A driving with no insurance conviction might have compromised my FAC.

I would imagine the towing trailers and caravans cover has also been stripped unless specified too. Look at your policy before assuming anything is now covered. Hope it gets sorted but be glad that it is only the caravan that got damaged IMO.

Ah, but it's not the OP's insurance that's liable Dave, it's the one that shunted him and he is liable for any damage to car or trailer. :good:

Ah, but it's not the OP's insurance that's liable Dave, it's the one that shunted him and he is liable for any damage to car or trailer. :good:

You are correct I think Rod - but for his insurer to claim from the others insurer I suspect he will have had to have the cover for towing the caravan.

I once swerved to miss a cyclist and hit both him and three parked cars. I had third party so sued the cyclist for my damage. Each of the three car owners came after me and my solicitor refuted the claims passing it to the cyclist. The cyclist paid me from third party liability from house insurance policy.

If the vehicle behind stopped and was shunted to you they will not be liable but will have to evidence that through the process as your claim starts with them.

I believe caravan attached to car becomes a part of car insurance policy. You should start first with your car insurer. Let them decide who to go after.

The car behind you should have adopted enough braking distance, hence it is wholly their fault they hit you.

They should claim off the car behind and so on.

Please read the OP again and then comment?

The car behind claims to have been STATIONARY and was then hit forcing him into the caravan.If thats the truth how can that be wholly their fault for not adopting enough braking distance?

Start a small claims court procedure against the person who hit your caravan.

Get a quote from a proper caravan repairer.

Let chummy chase his insurers once he gets the CC paperwork.

webber

That is excellent advice,you have a claim in law against whoever/whatever hit you & so on down the chain of events/causes.

Mrs twisted used to work in the Industry, if the car behind was shunted into you then the fault lies with the car that did the shunting, the person behind wasn't at fault as they were shunted and not careless, but it's down to your ins company to prove that the car that did the shunting was at fault over the car behind hitting you first. If the last driver says he wasn't at fault and didn't shunt the car into your van ( it had already hit you) then it's up to the insurance to slug it out

Ok thanks for all the input

An update

It seems the Towbar is damaged so this triggers a claim thro my insurers

The caravan is only covered third party via the car insurance

I have legal cover thro my car insurance

Because I will claim thro my car ins. It wil establish blame in the sequence of cars

I then use the legal cover to claim for 'out of pocket expenses ' ie the caravan, excess, travel etc from the liable party, which looks like been the last car of three

This may take time as there will be solicitors involved, but at least I hope I have a pathway now!

Complicated or what!

Ok thanks for all the input

An update

It seems the Towbar is damaged so this triggers a claim thro my insurers

The caravan is only covered third party via the car insurance

I have legal cover thro my car insurance

Because I will claim thro my car ins. It wil establish blame in the sequence of cars

I then use the legal cover to claim for 'out of pocket expenses ' ie the caravan, excess, travel etc from the liable party, which looks like been the last car of three

This may take time as there will be solicitors involved, but at least I hope I have a pathway now!

Complicated or what!

In that case you will be making the claim through your insurance. They will in turn be recovering costs from the other party. As long as your insurance company accept your car is insured with the towbar it will have no further bearing on the other insurers you claim against.

The only time your likly to have issues is when your insurance company feels they may not be able to recover costs.