Midland Game Fair

DazzJo

Wife and I got to the fair at 0800 on Saturday ready for the gates opening.

Disappointments

They didn't open gates until almost 0830 and it resulted in a bit of a crush going through the prepaid gate.

Prepaid programs not available unless you queued with the ticket sales

Fishermans row was very poor.

Reloading suppliers were thin on the ground, and understocked.

Heard one guy who had just measured a trophy, ask his assistant for the name of the shooter before he would give a score :-(

Oggies at £6 could (and should) be classed as theft.

Positives

Bought Hoggs breeks, Harkila trousers, Deerstalker trousers and jacket, waxed Barbour, several pairs of shooting socks and some Musto shirts all at much below internet prices.

Saw some great demo's in the main arena, as well as a good deer skinning and butchery demo on a cooking stall

Saw some great dog work on the scurries and some fab racing on the simulated coursing.

Didn't see any ******

Didn't see any evidence of theft

Met up with several people I only get to see at the fairs these days.

Wife found loads of bargains for herself

Blagged a test drive in a new L200, which turned into a right laugh when I was recognised by the saleswoman who I bought a brand new Isuzu from at last year's Midland :-)

£36 for two tickets and stayed in there for almost 9 hours. £2 a hour each. Bargain

Overall, a great day out for the wife and I, and well worth the drive from Manchester. Stopped at a decent hotel locally, so enjoyed a great meal and a few drinks to top off the day, then drove home Sunday.

The Midland is still the best game fair in my opinion, and I will be booking tickets for next year as soon as they become available

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rimotu66

Dog theft at the fair apparently. I can't really see what's going on here though other than a land rover speeding off.

Even so, a shame :-(

https://youtu.be/A5xWaS7So5

If that's true (the disco and van rushing off seem to point that way) then I feel so sorry for the owners. Some members on here where calling for dog owners to tie them up outside stalls, how do you feel about that now?

Edited by rimotu66

I've just read the description and it looks as though it may have been recovered. A quick Google of 'Midland Game Fair Dog Theft' and it appears to have happened a couple of times in the past. Its very sad that it goes on at all to be honest. If you're going to take your dog to the fair, don't leave it in the motor. Although I'm unsure why you'd take it in the first place I'd you're not going to take it in with you?

Edited by Mr_G