hugh hickey

Feo won't give me a 223 as my land is only allowed 222

This is typical of the general standard of feo knowledge of the job. On what grounds and what criteria were used to make this monumental decision? Both calibers use a .224 bullet of the same weight range and almost the same velocity. So there is no reason why a 223 shouldn’t be allowed. Ok the 223 has a bit more case capacity and is a bit more powerful but the difference isn’t a massive factor. The problem stems from the lack of funding and the amount of training that has to be absorbed in a very short time. Who is to blame? The politicians, the head of firearms, the person, the system, the shooting orgs for really not ragging the firearms department heads about or is it us for not persistently challenging nonsense like this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar issue year's ago, land would only be passed for 223 and not 22.250. I politely asked what he thought the difference was. The answer he gave was that it was allot more powerful and unsafe. I asked him if he thought pointing a 223 in the wrong direction was any safer than a 22.250.

Needless to say I got the land passed.

221 Fb is the lowest I'm told,

To hit 1000 ft-lb with a 50 gr bullet, you need to hit 3k fps. A hornet will never get there, not will a 218 bee if you are into obscure stuff. The 221fb will be a hot load to top 3k and there aren't many powders that show it possible. So realistically the 222 is the smallest that will be deer legal for muntjac.

Rick

i have two .222s

one is a break barrel single shot the other a bolt action

I use them exclusively when shooting roe

use 60gr soft points

foxes really don't like them, neither to rabbits or any flying black things

I also now use 45gr Sierra bullets but 52gr Amax are awesome on foxes

much nicer and more gentlemanly round than the .223!

i have two .222s

one is a break barrel single shot the other a bolt action

I use them exclusively when shooting roe

use 60gr soft points

foxes really don't like them, neither to rabbits or any flying black things

I also now use 45gr Sierra bullets but 52gr Amax are awesome on foxes

much nicer and more gentlemanly round than the .223!

How do you find that single shot? Always fancied one.

What make is it and have you shot it on the open sights?

U.

No offence but why would u want a 223 AND a 22.250, both a great calibres but are so similar there really is very little between then.

Actually surprised u were granted them both unless u do have a need for them both.

Most CF rifles even 2nd hand will cost u the best part of 1K by the time u scope, mod bipod etc.

Depending wot ur actual uses are but i'd say ur wasting ur money getting 2 rifles so similar, be better dropping 1 for either a smaller 17hmr/22wmr or larger 243+. But all depends on ur use

I bet u could hand most folk a 222, 223 or 22.250 to shoot at a target and i bet most could not tell the difference, all cracking calibres for fox and roe (in scot)

No offence but why would u want a 223 AND a 22.250, both a great calibres but are so similar there really is very little between then.

Actually surprised u were granted them both unless u do have a need for them both.

That was why i asked, but then i have duplicated calibers on mine.

Hi all I got some great news on Thursday Feo gave me the all clear for a 223 and a 22.250 many thanks to all pigeon watch members and to my Feo Mr Casson from the metropolitan police

Thats fine, just buy the .223 that you want and leave the 22-250 slot unused for a few months until you decide which other caliber you might like, then do a free one for one variation.

I assume you already have a .22lr, if not then use the 22-250 slot to get one, everyone needs a .22lr :)

Glad to see things worked out in the end.

Out of interest, can you tell us how the meeting went, what you said to get the better clearance and how the FLO reasoned it all out?

Edited by Alan Maughan

Hi all I got some great news on Thursday Feo gave me the all clear for a 223 and a 22.250 many thanks to all pigeon watch members and to my Feo Mr Casson from the metropolitan police

Perhaps I missed it somewhere but what is your intended use for either/both?

Edit, maybe I did, All I want is is a 223 for foxs, I now see you mentioned foxes.

Is that really it, JUST FOX?

The .223 will cover most distant foxes, (as will a 222), you may gain a fraction with a 22-250, you will also gain a lot of noise, but you would need some fairly exceptional land to need both.

Foxes are generally easy to track and train and can commonly be brought into rimfire range.

Many still bandy around the term Dedicated fox rifle when in truth, VERY few actually have a dedicated fox rifle. I have lots of different fox rifles to deal with virtually every situation, and shotguns as well!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Perhaps I missed it somewhere but what is your intended use for either/both?

Edit, maybe I did, All I want is is a 223 for foxs, I now see you mentioned foxes.

Is that really it, JUST FOX?

The .223 will cover most distant foxes, (as will a 222), you may gain a fraction with a 22-250, you will also gain a lot of noise, but you would need some fairly exceptional land to need both.

Foxes are generally easy to track and train and can commonly be brought into rimfire range.

Many still bandy around the term Dedicated fox rifle when in truth, VERY few actually have a dedicated fox rifle. I have lots of different fox rifles to deal with virtually every situation, and shotguns as well!

:good:

Yes, I am learning one now in order to dispatch with a rimfire.

Hopefully late this afternoon I will see more!

what gets me is that people keep referring to the chambering as a calibre .as the calibre is the diameter of the bullet and not the case!!!

and a bullet is called a head??? one question where is the head stamp on a round ?? or what is referred to when we say a head separation .

I think we need to start calling these things by there names and pulling the flo up on it. as I feel it may give us a little moor freedom to choose what rifle we want . as the application form says calibre not chambering so if you want a .224" c/f calibre put that ...and when the flo phones you up explain the difference between chambering and calibre. and what is being asked for on the form.

I do apologise if this seams like a bit of a rant . but if we all stand together we can make a difference .

rant over lol..

rob

Edited by fruitloop