hugh hickey

what gets me is that people keep referring to the chambering as a calibre .as the calibre is the diameter of the bullet and not the case!!!

and a bullet is called a head??? one question where is the head stamp on a round ?? or what is referred to when we say a head separation .

I think we need to start calling these things by there names and pulling the flo up on it. as I feel it may give us a little moor freedom to choose what rifle we want . as the application form says calibre not chambering so if you want a .224" c/f calibre put that ...and when the flo phones you up explain the difference between chambering and calibre. and what is being asked for on the form.

I do apologise if this seams like a bit of a rant . but if we all stand together we can make a difference .

rant over lol..

rob

You are quite right, up to a point!

If you ask for a. 429" rifle they won't know you mean 44mag, or if you put down a 6.9mm rifle they won't know you mean 6.5x55.

I agree, the form should say cal and or chambering.

U.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are quite right, up to a point!

If you ask for a. 429" rifle they won't know you mean 44mag, or if you put down a 6.9mm rifle they won't know you mean 6.5x55.

I agree, the form should say cal and or chambering.

U.

Well it's about time they found some interest in the job they do then lol

what gets me is that people keep referring to the chambering as a calibre .as the calibre is the diameter of the bullet and not the case!!!

and a bullet is called a head??? one question where is the head stamp on a round ?? or what is referred to when we say a head separation .

I think we need to start calling these things by there names and pulling the flo up on it. as I feel it may give us a little moor freedom to choose what rifle we want . as the application form says calibre not chambering so if you want a .224" c/f calibre put that ...and when the flo phones you up explain the difference between chambering and calibre. and what is being asked for on the form.

I do apologise if this seams like a bit of a rant . but if we all stand together we can make a difference .

rant over lol..

rob

Rob, when ranting about accuracy always best to check what spell check has done to your post buddy. Unless you were wanting freedom whilst out walking on a MOOR :)

Underdog, fruitloop - I quite agree.

It's just laziness on the part of people who should know better really. I've never met an RFD who didn't ask me "do you mean heads?" when I've gone in to buy a box of bullets​ and I'm always sorely tempted to reply "well if I wanted rifle cartridges, I'd have asked for rifle cartridges wouldn't I?"

The trouble is, it's hard to know whether they've adopted their customer's terminology so their customers know what they're talking about, or whether they're just as ignorant themselves.

Next time I want some 180 grain heads, I'll ask for the brain casings (very, very small, apparently) of any members here who don't understand the difference. :D

Oh, and for once - unlike much in the world of rifle shooting - the deer can tell the difference when it comes to heads. Last time I tried hitting them with a "head", it was mine, charging, face down at a roe buck at about 10 mph. Now I realise that might constitute animal cruelty - and if I'd actually made contact, it might have done - but the poor thing was still 200 yards off and ambled off seeming slightly bemused long before I got there. It's of absolutely no value if one is attempting to fill the freezer, but it's what happens when you try to kill them with a 125000-grain "head". Trust me chaps - I'm the voice of experience on this one. :ninja:

A 150gr soft point bullet on the other hand...

Edited by neutron619

How do you find that single shot? Always fancied one.

What make is it and have you shot it on the open sights?

U.

loving it!

Its an H&R/NEF Handi rifle I rechambered from .22 hornet to ,222

bit of a faff sorting the ejector from rimmed to rimless but finally have it sorted

have a bushnell 3-9x40 on it that has a very long eye relief which works well

I do have some Truglo sights but need a front sight mount made (basically a large thread protector I can tap for the sight

its a 1:12 and shoots well with 60gr soft points and with a SAK on the end is very light and pointy

havent messed around with fireformed brass yet (apparently that is the way forward with a break barrel where minute changes in headspace can be hinge pin related from rifle to rifle)

three of us shot it freehand at 100 yds and hit the black 4" disc at the Braidwood tunnel range

its a heavy barrel but the weight all feels to be in your hand rather than out front

IMG_3010_zpsbe7ss7p2.jpg

Rob, when ranting about accuracy always best to check what spell check has done to your post buddy. Unless you were wanting freedom whilst out walking on a MOOR :)

Hi Mike I think I do well to say I am dyslexic and the predictive texts helps loads.if it looking right it will do people will guess what I mean

Edited by fruitloop

loving it!

Its an H&R/NEF Handi rifle I rechambered from .22 hornet to ,222

bit of a faff sorting the ejector from rimmed to rimless but finally have it sorted

have a bushnell 3-9x40 on it that has a very long eye relief which works well

I do have some Truglo sights but need a front sight mount made (basically a large thread protector I can tap for the sight

its a 1:12 and shoots well with 60gr soft points and with a SAK on the end is very light and pointy

havent messed around with fireformed brass yet (apparently that is the way forward with a break barrel where minute changes in headspace can be hinge pin related from rifle to rifle)

three of us shot it freehand at 100 yds and hit the black 4" disc at the Braidwood tunnel range

its a heavy barrel but the weight all feels to be in your hand rather than out front

IMG_3010_zpsbe7ss7p2.jpg

That looks just sweet to me, well done.:-)

Underdog, fruitloop - I quite agree.

It's just laziness on the part of people who should know better really. I've never met an RFD who didn't ask me "do you mean heads?" when I've gone in to buy a box of bullets​ and I'm always sorely tempted to reply "well if I wanted rifle cartridges, I'd have asked for rifle cartridges wouldn't I?"

The trouble is, it's hard to know whether they've adopted their customer's terminology so their customers know what they're talking about, or whether they're just as ignorant themselves.

Next time I want some 180 grain heads, I'll ask for the brain casings (very, very small, apparently) of any members here who don't understand the difference. :D

Oh, and for once - unlike much in the world of rifle shooting - the deer can tell the difference when it comes to heads. Last time I tried hitting them with a "head", it was mine, charging, face down at a roe buck at about 10 mph. Now I realise that might constitute animal cruelty - and if I'd actually made contact, it might have done - but the poor thing was still 200 yards off and ambled off seeming slightly bemused long before I got there. It's of absolutely no value if one is attempting to fill the freezer, but it's what happens when you try to kill them with a 125000-grain "head". Trust me chaps - I'm the voice of experience on this one. :ninja:

A 150gr soft point bullet on the other hand...

Lol, my head is so soft it would expand a treat at 10mph!