Steel shot

-ben-

30 yards for 36 grm of number 3 on geese. Sure you can drop some dead in the air further but its generally the fluke of a lucky strike- most will come down as wounders if you stretch that 30 yards much. The goal should always be dead in the air or wild goose chase takes on a whole new meaning, if that don't bother a guy he should perhaps hang up his guns

36 grm of number 1 gamebore is what I will be using this weekend for a duck and goose flight. The number 2 Remington nitro are even better but I cant get them locally now

I have kiled quite a few greylag with Gamebore 36gr no 3s while duck shooting. Most have been in the 30-40 yards range bracket with one or two a little further. No 3 in steel is not the size of my choice for geese. I would rather use BB or BBB, but it can work. However what I have found is while the no3s knock the goose down many are not dead , though almost all are unable to move or attempt to escape.

I have kiled quite a few greylag with Gamebore 36gr no 3s while duck shooting. Most have been in the 30-40 yards range bracket with one or two a little further. No 3 in steel is not the size of my choice for geese. I would rather use BB or BBB, but it can work. However what I have found is while the no3s knock the goose down many are not dead , though almost all are unable to move or attempt to escape.

just southern softy geese that is! LOL

I am not so sure as to the importange of patten or pertration tests compared to field experiance ( I have patterned cartridges that were pretty awful and yet they killed well in the field ) so I am carrying out my own personel survey on the effectivness on the shells I use this season. It would be interesting if a few ohers did the same and we see what the results are at the end of the season. Unfortunetly the spread sheet comes up as a jumbles mess on here but below are the spread sheet fields.

Date

Site

Species

Total

cartridges Brand

cartridges shot type - Steel ITM Bismuth

Shot size

Load

no of shots

day%

ave %

pick up

lost birds

range meters <20 <30 <40 <50 <60

At the moment though only 6 duck have been shot ( all with gamebore Mammoths 36 gr no 3 loads at ranges between 30 and 50m the average is 60 % with all birds picked.)

I have also included a few optional fields such as weather - wind . do we shoot better in still or windy days. I know I shoot a lot better at pigeons when there is no wind.

Temperature. With modern cartridges this should not be an issue , but a few years ago after leaving shells in a car in - 14C temperatures they failed to kill outright any birds until I changed to my spares ( that had been kept overnight in a warm room and then in an inside pocket ) when I killed 5 duck.

It would be best to keep the sites private , but shooting inland or on the coast might be an issue for novice fowlers and some struggle with range estimation on the foreshore with no close landmarks. So an field for inland or Coastal or perhaps morning\evening \moon or tide flight.

Edited by anser2

In fairness remember when basc had the guess the range of the pigeon at the gamefair a few years back? Guesses were awfully bad. I pace out my furthest decoy then make some extra allowance for the hypotenuse. Within the given window I see stuff in range beyond its let be unless it's wounded and yes it still happens just like nobody hits every one Have yet to see a fowler with a spotter with rangefinder in hand calling the dope out.

I am very sure one guys 60 yards is likely 35 or 40.

One thing I know for sure is gamebore 3 shot in thier mammoth I can pattern just great with and can also connect well with beyond the range at which the shot holds enough energy to kill with certainty

Birds are well hit you can see this but recover quickly often being basically knocked out

In fairness remember when basc had the guess the range of the pigeon at the gamefair a few years back? Guesses were awfully bad. I pace out my furthest decoy then make some extra allowance for the hypotenuse. Within the given window I see stuff in range beyond its let be unless it's wounded and yes it still happens just like nobody hits every one Have yet to see a fowler with a spotter with rangefinder in hand calling the dope out.

I am very sure one guys 60 yards is likely 35 or 40.

One thing I know for sure is gamebore 3 shot in thier mammoth I can pattern just great with and can also connect well with beyond the range at which the shot holds enough energy to kill with certainty

Birds are well hit you can see this but recover quickly often being basically knocked out

So do you knowingly shoot at birds that are out of range to knock them out or is it misjudgement?

So do you knowingly shoot at birds that are out of range to knock them out or is it misjudgement?

No I read some stuff about the ranges others claimed good rates at patterned them with fancy new chokes and got very acceptable prints. Hit plenty but killed few in the air and packed it in sharp as a bad plan

Perhaps those using the same shells as me do something special to make the shot hit harder or perhaps someone is a bit off with thier range estimates

agree with you, bought 3's 36g xpress, wont be buying again, did mistake and bought quite few. Shot few geese, as you mentioned they did knock them down but most of them were alive had to put another shot to put them down. Think around 46g + bb/2's be best for geese...? that is what am thinking to buy in near future as am left with couple boxes of 3's now