New to air rifling

acook

Looking to get an air rifle, relatively cheap to shoot some pigeons that are causing havoc on my property. Any suggestions? I was considering buying an SMK CO2 XS78 .22 but I'd like a few more opinions first. The gun is actually for my father, I'm only 17 so I will be borrowing it from time to time, with it always in his possession when I'm not using it.

Cheers,

Alex

Looking to get an air rifle, relatively cheap to shoot some pigeons that are causing havoc on my property. Any suggestions? I was considering buying an SMK CO2 XS78 .22 but I'd like a few more opinions first. The gun is actually for my father, I'm only 17 so I will be borrowing it from time to time, with it always in his possession when I'm not using it.

Cheers,

Alex

Evening, sir welcome to the site. Evo's right about CO2. A springer needs no topping up and is much more stable in temperature changes. C02 really suffers at extremes, but it is mildly susceptible to even being out on an unusually chilly day. The outlay might be slightly more (though not necessarily, as genuine budget options really do exist) but you will end up with a much better option to cut your teeth on. As evo says, all you need then is money for the pellets, you don't need to buy gas for it that will then let you down at an irritating moment!

Any suggestions on what springer to get? Also, I'd prefer to get a bolt action one, just for personal preference as I've been fascinated with them while growing up.

As long as the springer can kill pigeons and possibly rats/rabbits.

(Unless you cannot get spring powered bolt action rifles)

Edited by acook

Sorry for the spam, but I guess you cannot get bolt action spring powered rifles! Is the remington express reliable?

Its a waste of timber and metal.

Taken from another post i made months ago about one

A newish guy at the range brought one down today and I helped him sight it in. My god it kicks like a mule for a springer and takes a fair amount of force to cock it. The safety is reasonable on it and there was a fair amount of pull on the trigger but to be honest i didn't look to see if it was adjustable. I think he said his came with a scope and the scope while offering a reasonable amount of adjustment, the scope picture was as milky as hell when looking down it.

Edit: The Machining quality is poor and so is the woodwork too. I would avoid

Oh I see, I was looking to buy it from the Drapers Airgun Centre, as I'm located in nottingham too.. Maybe I should choose a different rifle.

If you're just wanting to bash some pigeons then never use it again a cheap hatsan will suit you for your needs, If you actually want to keep it and continue to use it then any AirArms or Weihrauch springer is a good choice.

I would avoid Drapers like the plague if you can, they are vastly overpriced as they are the only shop within the city limits really. Also depending who serves you depends on the customer service you get, on guy in there is as miserable as the day is long and you would think you urinated in his coffee due to the look he gives everyone..... he's your best mate if you have a wad of cash to spend though. Point in case re pricing, theres a young lad that comes down the range with his dad and they were looking to buy a AA S400 for him to use. Went to drapers and they wanted £485 for one, he went to Walkers of Trowell and bought one there for £445.

Edited by Zenduri

If you're just wanting to bash some pigeons then never use it again a cheap hatsan will suit you for your needs, If you actually want to keep it and continue to use it then any AirArms or Weihrauch springer is a good choice.

I would avoid Drapers like the plague if you can, they are vastly overpriced as they are the only shop within the city limits really. Also depending who serves you depends on the customer service you get, on guy in there is as miserable as the day is long and you would think you urinated in his coffee due to the look he gives everyone..... he's your best mate if you have a wad of cash to spend though. Point in case re pricing, theres a young lad that comes down the range with his dad and they were looking to buy a AA S400 for him to use. Went to drapers and they wanted £485 for one, he went to Walkers of Trowell and bought one there for £445.

Ah, fair play, I've seen some other people say that the guy in there is a massive ****** too. I saw a shop in sheffield with good prices, "Sheffield Air Rifles". I'm only looking to spend around £160 under, I don't think people in this thread have realised that! Lol but money is tight at the moment. I could possibly push to £230 for the webley stingray II as secretagentmole suggested.

Will people get off the knock Hatsan. The Hatsan 55 and 60 have both been better out of the box than both the new HW95s the wife has bought. The 95s have suffered from poorly finished springs, mechanisms that are full of sharp edges, split seals and this is new from the factory!

HW are sending out guns that would make SMK blush! Not every one can afford £300 for a new spring powered or be willing to chance £200 of their hard earned on a secondhand purchase!

A new Hatsan 55 or 60 S is a nice starter gun that is better built than a lot of people realise!

Edited by secretagentmole

I wasn't knocking Hatsan at all. I suggested something cheap and cheerful that's reliable enough for the job. Whilst i havent personally used the 900X i have read a lot of good things about it and if its anything like the build quality of the AT44 PCP then it would be a wise buy as I am relatively impressed at Hatsans build quality for the price on the AT44.There wasnt any need to get all defensive.

The OP suggests he wants a rifle for one purpose then may not use again so a 900X is a cheap and cheerful tool for the job without busting the bank.

I wasn't knocking Hatsan at all. I suggested something cheap and cheerful that's reliable enough for the job. Whilst i havent personally used the 900X i have read a lot of good things about it and if its anything like the build quality of the AT44 PCP then it would be a wise buy as I am relatively impressed at Hatsans build quality for the price on the AT44.There wasnt any need to get all defensive.

The OP suggests he wants a rifle for one purpose then may not use again so a 900X is a cheap and cheerful tool for the job without busting the bank.

You did label the Hatsan 900X though as a gun you would buy to use once then get rid off it.

Makes it sound like a bad gun. I have no experience of the gun though so cant say a thing!

I will stick with my TX200HC though. shine.gif.pagespeed.ce.0ZRSk_TTiQ.gif

Hold off buying till you have around £250 cash-then search for a used TX200-I would suggest .177 but no doubt others will be along to suggest my allegiance with the Devil. If you buy wisely you will not only enjoy using one of the finest guns ever made-but you will, most likely, get back what you paid for it so that little extra allows you technically to shoot for free.