SJ4000

Redditch

Wow, finally. After taking ONE single day to get from Malaysia to the UK, my new SJ4000 action camera, promptly disappeared into the UK postal system (despite being tracked air mail ). No sign of it.

It arrived here on the 5th September, and then NOTHING.

Finally today, it has arrived, on the 22nd September !!

Cost me £22.95 POSTED (a lot cheaper than the GoPro I have, and only costs $5.00 USD according to customs declaration)

Yes, the battery housing is a bit "fiddly" to close, but all in all it looks good, and lots of fittings supplied (it uses standard GoPro mounts, so those are easy

Two back doors, but BOTH seem to be of the closed variety.

Two USB chargers, one euro plug, and one UK plug.

Tiny instruction book, almost impossible to read, in the box, so it's a case of trial and error really, or buy a magnifying glass

Now on charge (using my phone charger, as that's easier, it's micro USB too)

And a micro SD card getting formatted now (not supplied)

Is it worth it's money ?

Yes, I would say so looking at the build quality compared to a GoPro.

What's the video footage like ?

That I will have to check later, but looking on you tube, it's comparable to a GoPro 3+ and better than the standard GoPro White

Edited by Redditch

Sounds like a good buy, will be interesting to hear what the video footage is like. Does it have a waterproof case?

Yep, comes in a 30 metre waterproof case. Two rear doors supplied, but both are of the closed variety.

Also have a problem with the case, as the front button is at the bottom, when it should be at the top.

So messaged the supplier for a new case.

Seems to be quite good footage, and has lots of options.

Also has two zoom modes that are easily accessed. A 2x and a 4x

Once I get a new case, it will be easier to post footage

I have one of these and it is very impressive

look closely at the cases because one should have little holes in it for better sound

and one is defiantly water proof, I tried it in my fish tank :yes:

check techmoan on youtube

and check for a little piece of plastic on the inside of the case where the lens goes,

mine didn`t have it, but they say some do

took this on my motorbike and the footage is great

pause it and the detail is amazing :good:

I just ordered a second one, this one from the philpines as its only £16.50 posted from there LOL

Also put in a complaint to the supplier of the first one, and hoping they send me a replacement housing and open back door, as otherwise I can't use the camera in that housing.

That said, if the new one has everything as it should be, I will then just be able to swap cameras instead of batteries, and so be quicker in the field :)

The original supplier said if I couldn't use it they would send me a complete new unit. But I wrote them back and said its not needed, just the housing and open back door

Edited by Redditch

So, repaired the defective SJ 4000 action camera.

They supplied me with a housing on/off/menu switch at the bottom of the housing front, when it should have been at the top of the housing front.

So, got a bone knife, disassembled the switch, and sawed the switch off, then drilled a hole in the correct place, reassembled the switch, and glued it into place over the new hole.

Then used some glue to seal the old hole, so that's now waterproof.

It scratched the housing. No problem, I will paint it.

Here's a photo of the repair

Main thing is, it works LOL

post-39481-0-13689100-1443443743_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Redditch

This is how the housing arrived. Still waiting on what the supplier is intending to do. They said "use it as it is" but that was impossible.

Now painted it black (after the repair) and awaiting it to dry. Supposed to be touch dry in 10-15 minutes, totally dry in 35 minutes (PlastiKote paint), but after 100 minutes still wet :(

post-39481-0-62770000-1443443901_thumb.jpeg

this Is a little footage from my sj4000

but youtube does not do this camera any justice

when you pause the footage on my computer you can read the number plates of cars going the other way and see the detail on the leaves on the bushes

https://youtu.be/uTKt61f4vRI

Yep, I would put it video wise on a par with the GoPro 3+ Silver, but better low light capabilities.

That sounds like a big single you're riding there, and reminds me of my old BSA single, as it "whistles" :)

Happy memories

Edited by Redditch

I have got the wifi version and it works very well

this is a genuine sj4000 brought off amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NN2N5KO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

but mine was in black

with the amount of fittings you get and the screen mount you should be able to put this anywhere

and apparently go pro fitting fit as well

I have got the wifi version and it works very well

this is a genuine sj4000 brought off amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NN2N5KO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

but mine was in black

with the amount of fittings you get and the screen mount you should be able to put this anywhere

and apparently go pro fitting fit as well

Yeah I have the SJ 1000 and I use it on a gopro head strap.

sj 4000 now on Ebay priced at £18.67 from nottingham. free post.

Be careful as there are some fakes out there.

as Ollie said be very careful of fakes

and yes you could mount it on a gun with the mounts that come with it but I have not tried this yet, not sure how good it would be

but as you will see on youtube there is not much difference apart from the price to the go pro, if not better and the go pro mounts fit

could this camera be mounted onto shotgun barrells or would it be better to mount on the hide pole see it comes with a good few mounting accessories looks a good value piece of kit.

All the standard GoPro mountings fit it, so shotgun barrels, head strap, or hide pole, your choice :)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Redditch now have one :good: took it on holiday last week to centre parcs picture quality great, cant wait to get some shooting vids done, bought a case and accessory pack off fleabay for 13.99 headset,chestmount,floatbottle and loads more see what you mean about where to mount it with all the different mount options great piece of kit for the price only wish I had came across one sooner.