Semi-Auto question - Browning/Benelli/Beretta

Cawdor118

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why people want a 26" 12 ga auto??? Yes it's light but to me has 'no swing' or feel it's just short and pointy........

If it was a 10ga auto I could understand!

The Xtrema 2 was THE best gun beretta have made.........for an auto. The A400 xtreme does not match it for handling or finish, and I have used both. If I was r/handed I would search out a 28" Xtrema 2 in good nick and never sell it...............

At the risk of being in the minority, I have recently picked up a 28" Maxus Composite (The black plastic looking thing with a 3.5" chamber) for wildfowling and pigeon shooting and it's a fantastic gun. It's cycled everything I've thrown at it (although as it states in the manual you have to use 70mm or greater carts). The recoil is very soft, even with 42g mammoth steels in BB for geese and it's incredibly light and easy to point. It also came with a nice factory extended half choke which lengthens the barrels if you are after rangy duck with steel.

It doesn't have a twist cap on the end of the fore-end, so breaking it down is even easier than most other autos. Even taking the trigger group out is a case of pushing out a couple of pins with a pen lid or whatever else you have to hand and since the internals are quite simple it's very easy to clean.

Mine came with a duratouch finish which just shrugs off mud if you wipe it down with a cloth without scratching. You can also adjust the length of pull and cast/drop etc by changing shims and adding/removing spacers, but that's pretty standard stuff. The magazine cut-off switch is also a nice feature as it means you can eject your duck load and chuck a single mammoth in it if a goose happens to wander over without having to unload all three cartridges.

Nicest thing about it however is the wonderful speedload system you only get with a Browning auto - rather than having to load the first cartridge into the ejection port and press the bolt release, you just shove it into the magazine and as long as the bolt is locked back the gun cycles it into the chamber mechanically and is instantly ready to fire. Makes quick reloading in the hide/on the foreshore an absolute doddle and it's put a couple of birds in the bag I would have missed otherwise so far.

Edited by Zechk

I am an auto fan myself and over 40 years of shooting I have had loads of different guns [franchi, browning, Winchester remmington],

but by a long way the best auto I have used and I still love shooting it is my beretta extrema 2.I had a few recycling issues when it was new and was told to use 30 -32 grm cartridges after using a slab [250] I can now shoot any cartridge it has never let me down since I did this

pay the money and enjoy!!!!!!.