Would love a decent bag just for once

Sambaker1993

Quite simply you need to go where the pigeon are , my view is you are unlikely to have a great paid for day as the ground is frequently overshot and the better times of year taken by their "special clients"

Don't get hung up on numbers go out and enjoy it and a decent bag can turn up when you least expect it.

Quite simply you need to go where the pigeon are , my view is you are unlikely to have a great paid for day as the ground is frequently overshot and the better times of year taken by their "special clients"

Don't get hung up on numbers go out and enjoy it and a decent bag can turn up when you least expect it.

good advice

Yeah I guess i always enjoy myself but would like a little more shots , i could be out a full day and sometimes only see 15 or so birds , I need to try and do some riding round for permission but it's hard when I work 6 days a week ..... All of the farms around my area over rape ect all either have people shooting already or the farmers just simply won't let you on ......

I feel exactly the same. I love shooting from a hide but every time I go I see nought and the biggest bag I've had is only 20ish. Mates have had a couple of 60+ bags this year. Problem is in our area everyones at it and so this makes things harder. This doesn't dampen my sprits though, I still enjoy getting out there and have a go. If you worry about the number you shoot you end up loosing your enthusiasm. Just keep going out shooting and take home whatever you hit.

Edited by Jbob

Yeah that's true but I would be good for my young pup he must just think he is on a walk sometimes coming home with nothing, I am swear that's how it goes at times but seen as I have been regally shooting over three years and 23 is the most I have ever had

Try roosting mate,it's great couple of Hrs and your home with a dozen birds,no carting decoys and poles about.Plus the dog will get a decent work out.

Edited by Davyo

A good day for me is to have taken that one difficult long and high flying shot in windy conditions and nailed it. That and a good walk out over some lovely ground with great scenery and wildlife.

Better than taking 20, 50 or 100 birds on the decoys like shooting fish in a barrel. Sure there's some great shots involved, but it's not the same feeling for me.

It's not all about the numbers unless your objective is to sell the birds, or where it's to prevent crop damage and the birds are being disposed of...which brings me to the question "just what do people do with all those birds?"

I had a great day on the decoys recently and we have a freezer full of pigeon breast now but it was almost too many and a PITA spending the evening prepping all those birds.

Same for us all at times mate :good: I was out this morning in the ******* down rain for 4 hours and shot 2 crows but I still enjoyed it :yes:

IMO anyone shooting just for big bags is shooting for the wrong reasons :yes: BB

So your saying once you shoot more than 20 birds you would stop shooting and say I have shot enough , I can see the birds depending on quality , I also freeze some for myself and my partner and also freeze whole ones to train my dog sometimes depending on how many , I just mean it would be nice to have at least one good day ? I would far from say I'm shooting for wrong reasons

The thing is people look on forums like this and think big bags are perhaps the norm , they are not, I would guess lots of us myself included do only put a report on when we have a decent bag , we do not bother if we go out and have a poor day so it gives a bit of a false impression on how easy it can be.

Edited by fenboy

Did you really mean 35 acres in post 11?

Yesterday I looked over something like 12,000 acres of rolling prime agricultural land with varied cropping and lots of trees and hedges and I never saw any number of birds. I am reluctant to advise you how to behave but if I was in your position I would be spreading my net and looking for more land to shoot over.

The thing is people look on forums like this and think big bags are perhaps the norm , they are not, I would guess lots of us myself included do only put a report on when we have a decent bag , we do not bother if we go out and have a poor day so it gives a bit of a false impression on how easy it can be.

I'm not expecting big bags all the time like I said in the title just one would be nice going to try and spread the net then too might be worh a try

If you can beat your P / B once or twice a year then you are heading in the right direction to get what you call a big bag .

To get that , have you got a sufficient amount of pigeons in your area ? and unless you are very lucky with the acres you go on, you really want a large acreage with assorted crops that will attract pigeons .

In my case , if I end up with 1000 pigeons it work out around 150 per 1000 acres , so as you can see by having a small amount of land to go on, you will either shoot it out , or you will need to be extremely lucky , so good luck and keep at it .

Good advise on getting some more ground. If you look at PCs posts he drives some fair distances to find birds.

I know how frustrating it can be when you shoot small bags. Whilst I agree that it is not all about numbers it is a lot more enjoyable to have regular traffic and decent numbers on the ground. I hardly ever shoot pigeons as there are so few where I live. I tend to concentrate on the corvids. To be fair I have had good days (best of 102) and bad days (3 before going home). Which did I enjoy the most...mmmmm...102. I enjoyed it as it was my first century, there were some cracking shots and I had birds coming in all day which makes it far more enjoyable then watching a blank sky over decoys.

Keep on the case mate, you'll get there.