Ticks

Yellow Bear

Anyone else having trouble this year with ticks in the nymph stage - pin head size and black and seem to be picked up in tens not ones. A couple of weeks ago we must have pulled or brushed about 60 off (definitely not fleas before anyone thinks so). We thought we had got the lot but there was another batch on Tuesday.

Any ideas to stop the pick up?

My dog picked up about ten in one hunt through grass, all round her eyes, popped a collar on from the vet. Not sure it helps but haven't seen any since. One latched on to her eyelid.

I walk her else where where less dogs are.

John.

Got collar from vet but it states that it should be kept dry and swimming is a no no - we have a spaniel, hell would need to freeze over to keep her out of water :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::oops:

I was using Frontline Combo but this doesn't stop ticks attaching to the dog and neither does it kill them. It makes them sterile so that they cannot breed and therefore your dog will still get them.

Both dogs had a lot of ticks earlier this season so I have started using Bravecto and I haven't seen an attached tick on either of my dogs since. As said more expensive than Frontline Combo but to date seems to be working.

Advantix is the other that apparently prevents ticks attaching but it is applied in liquid as per the Frontline Combo and as my dogs hunt through undergrowth that can be wet I was concerned about the effectiveness so I went with the Bravecto which is a tablet.