ADVICE ON .22 AMMO for a CZ .22 455 L/R (sub sonic) and ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cz like sk they are dear but good and worth it if you can shoot

What I recommend is go to your RFD and buy say 100 of each you can get and test them on paper as far out as your capable of on s good day

Then get a brick of 500 in which when it gets to be so low as your max to hold with the next lot of 500 added.....

As already said buy a few different brands and see what ones are more accurate, it can be a difference between a 3 inch group and 1 inch group at 50m just by different brands.

Mine is super accurate with eley but not so accurate with Winchester but other czs are accurate with Winchester.

You don't want to have 400 rounds of ammo that isn't accurate in your gun, you would be missing everything :lol:

Atb

hello, thankyou to reply, ok i shall get a few different sub sonic makes and maybe a 50 H/Vs just to try out, so eley/wichester/SK/ maybe some CCI? . i hope to be testing on a proper range in gloucestershire with the new hawke rimmy scope fitted. this is a 50mtr zero and has 75/100/150 on reticule. i think 50 to 75 mtrs will be enough for me.cheers

At 50 in a rifle of worth I haven't ever shot so bad as 3" this is why I say shoot as far as you can a good gun with reasonable ammo should be capable of better than 1" at 50 and you can be looking at a bullet width to choose between ammo

Take it to a 100 especially indoors without wind and a bench and the differences glare at you

I am talking subsonic here not hv or cb caps etc

Very good with caps would be 3" at 50 in my experience

Gave some to a mate for a laugh as he hadn't ever used them and gave up trying to hit an apple after about 20 rounds realising it wasn't just the dope but the fact they grouped so poor

Edited by kent

Son in law had trouble with a 42 grn cci >> 22lr. in his CZ auto. because the bullet is a bit heavier the tip is more of a bull nose sort of jobby and the tips kept on getting caught on the top of the reciever ramp when the round kicked up out of the mag upon loading. Nothing wrong with the rounds it was a case that they just didn't suit his action. I bought them off of him and they are a very good round, Dont go and buy a brick of anything until you've given them a run. If you know other 22 lr users swap a few rounds to see how they go.

hello, have just recieved my FAC/SHOTTY permits now and getting the above rifle monday, i am allowed to purchase 600 so what brand and type can you recommend,.are there good cheap brands? or pay more for quality, was thinking to go 400 subsonic and 200 ? cheers.

hello, thankyou for the replies am off to the RFD today and have noted what has been suggested.

Would love some feedback when you have tried them and how the new scope performs to,was reading about that scope saw some guys on youtube shooting out to 200 yards with one. Hope you have fun trying the bullets and get some good results to.

hello, shall do my best to let you know how i get on which may take a few days after my visit to the RFD today, am allowed 600 on the permit so i can get a few types of ammo as mentioned, as for the scope not sure which model to get as there is a 40 and 50mm and i most shoot afternoons/evenings and night, hoping my T38 red led will do to. need to get everything right and not over burden the weight of rifle as i most walk the 2 farms. need a good sling as well. am hoping all will be money worth spending as well as a semi auto and cartridges so hoping the RFD will appreciate my custom as being a pensioner now my last big spend.

Hey dont talk to me about pension :-) i get mine in december. A 50mm front end would let more light in at low light, but would it fit the rifle i.e catch anywere so were are you based OPP that sounds better than OAP :-) i am away on holiday at the moment and hope there is a nice letter with my fac ticket in it returned cheque for 80 od quid in it lol.

i use cci subs. Best in my 10/22 and luckily the local guy sells them and not alot of the others.

Got a box of eley subs the other day as i heard they were good.

They beat the cci very slightly on accuracy. But found that eley did not cycle as well. cci never miss a beat but the eleys seemed to have some waxy residue on them that made the action sticky.

So i'm Sticking with cci lol. (no pun intended)

I would maybe buy some cheap rounds to plink with first if the barrel is brand new , just to lead it up and let it settle in , after 2-300 rounds of plinking I would then worry about being super accurate as the thing that will need the most attention will be you and learning to repeatedly shoulder and fire the gun the same way is FAR more important than worrying about a quarter inch difference between ammo makes ,,,, just at this point might I add ,,,,, get used to shooting it first and above all else ENJOY YOURSELF or else it's pointless

My wife shot my cz silhouette cut to 14 inches on Sunday off the bonnet of the 4x4 using wincester sub 42gr.Grouped 3 shots(no practice) at 1/2inch at 54mtrs.At work at the moment so cant post a pic on this thread, but i posted pics yesterday under sporting pictures (under brilliant 3 shots)

Edited by Davyo

I like Eley or Winchester subs. Work well in my rifle for MOA at 100yds, so plenty good enough. Tried a batch of Remington 22LR subs (new box of 100) yesterday. They may be cheap but they're also (extremely) rubbish. Avoid...plinking ammo only. Possibly ok for breaking a new barrel in due to low cost but not accurate enough for hunting IME. It is important to get the best grouping round you can find for your rifle, because it instils confidence in the rifle knowing where it will consistently shoot from various ranges, and with small quarry you do need precision and accuracy for humane kills. I'd recommend putting a few hundred cheap rounds of anything you like through the barrel first (if a new rifle) and cleaning with dry patch after each session. I only bother with bore cleaner for 22LR after say each few hundred rounds. Then buy a box each of different brands, and zero with each brand at 50 yds, taking care to be as consistent as you can. Select the best grouping rounds as the brand to use in your rifle.

hello, thankyou for the replies am off to the RFD today and have noted what has been suggested.

hello, just an up date, this was the ammo i purchased to start, RWS HP SUBS X 150, WINCHESTER SUBS X 150, ELEY HOLLOW X 200 did not have any H/V but i did not worry, the rifle looks great with the new hawke rimmy scope and SAK mod and sling, will phone the chap with rifle range and pop over if ok. the scope is the 3x9x40 which the RFD said was ok for shooting i do as i mentioned, the 50mm looked OTT. but its bright and has the new ret . will have a good looksy later. got a semi auto and carts to. ps bank managers not happy :lol:

hello, just an up date, this was the ammo i purchased to start, RWS HP SUBS X 150, WINCHESTER SUBS X 150, ELEY HOLLOW X 200 did not have any H/V but i did not worry, the rifle looks great with the new hawke rimmy scope and SAK mod and sling, will phone the chap with rifle range and pop over if ok. the scope is the 3x9x40 which the RFD said was ok for shooting i do as i mentioned, the 50mm looked OTT. but its bright and has the new ret . will have a good looksy later. got a semi auto and carts to. ps bank managers not happy :lol:

just a thought do i need clean barrel before using? is so what with.? i only got some express gun oil or youngs 303. cheers