Pole cat near Warburton Bridge

ashcmt

Does anyone farm, control vermin or have a shoot near Warburton Bridge, Lymm?

A jet black pole cat crossed the road in front of me Thursday evening on the Irlam side.

Not sure if this is the right section but thought it worth sharing if any body knows anyone in the area.

a couple of years ago while photographing trains at acton bridge I took a picture of one hunting along the track,didn,t no they had them in Cheshire.

Pole cats or mink?

Have both anyway. Pole cats are common but I have only ever seen one mink. Have heard reports of others.

i have a short piece of trailcam footage of a polecat on one of my permissions (i see one or two from time to time) , it was ragging a dead sheep.

i also have footage of badgers carrying away whole rabbits and pigeons that ive left out for foxes.

• 1 month later...

Did it have a white 'mask'? if so polecat not mink. We have both...polecats now returning to West Sussex.

Don't laugh but a couple of years ago travelling slowly along a road in Sussex I swore I drove past the carcass of a Pine Marten. I used to see lots in the Highlands, for example the main Ullapool road. I couldn't stop as my Merlo was the cause of the traffic jam ;-)

I had a chat with a wildlife trust and they said that there were some in East Sussex but there were also random transportations/releases by people across the country.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Few years ago was pike fishing on the river Aire near Keighley.

Spotted a Mink on the far bank.

Few hours later went to recast and the deadbait roach came off the trebles and ended up floating downstream about 20foot before the mink appeared out of nowhere and snaffled it.

Fished that particular stretch for years as a kid and for a good few years recently and it was the first one I've seen. Decent bloody size too.

• 5 weeks later...

I have seen two dead polecats at the side of the road in the last 18 month one was between the rising sun pub at Hazel Grove Stockport and Poynton roundabout.The other was last july/august on the road from Kermincham Cheshire to Swettenham.Saw two road kill Mink on the M60 last year anti clockwise at the Cheadle bottle neck....theres a canal at the side ,theres a few near the local golf course ,all the ducks vanished last year according to members