Frustrated By Diversification

pigeon controller

Friday set out early 10.00 looking for beans stubble we have six farms with large fields of bean stubble to chose from so the answer should be easy. Out of the six farms three had no birds in any numbers on the fields, of the remaining three they all had birds joining and birds down . Two we could not shoot due to Pheasants and Ducks so this left the last one to view now this farm diversified a few years ago to accomodate weddings and that was the case on Friday at least two hundred birds down and joining the bean field but no shooting because of the function. So we left and drove round the lanes looking for birds or at least a flight line to follow. We went back to the peas we shot last week it had about fifty birds in the trees around the field but none down feeding so we moved on and ended up on the wheat stubble we shot two weeks ago and even used the same hide position. The birds were not feeding hard but this field is very good for the flightline that comes out of the city to the feeding fields. We set up at 14.00 with the normal real bird display and the magnet set close to the hide , just for the movement value to attract flighting birds. We shot till 18.00 and picked up one hundred and eighteen pigeon and one Jackdaw. We had completed eightythree miles in our search but it was worth it in the end.

Saturday saw us heading to the wedding venue at 10.00 when we arrived we were dismayed to find another wedding booked for the day so no shooting, when we are freezing our nuts off protecting the rape in the winter we have no problem with weddings ?????

We decided to drive in a big loop aroud the edge of our permissions to try and locate some new bean stubbles or at least a flightline. We came across three fields of wheat stubble with birds flighting to it so we watched it for twenty minutes and it had about a hundred birds down . So we knocked on three adjacent farms to seek permision only to be told we have no land it has all been let out to real farmers ??? . We managed to get the Farmer who was farming the wheat stubble on the telephone . I dont like asking for permission on the phone as it is very easy for them to refuse you and as it was he did refuse permission. So we carried on looking. We were passing one of our old rape fields when we noticed birds down on a small field of wheat stubble but lots were joining and others were sitting on the wires . DB was starving so we went to buy a sandwich and we parked in the gateway while he ate it and agreed to shoot the field as it was getting on for 14.00 . We asked at the farm opposite the field and we were informed that the farmer concerned lived ten miles away the other side of the motorway . We found out his name ,location and the name of the lane running along the edge of the field. We set off the find the farm , when we arrived the farmer was in the yard so we walked up and presented ourselves and asked for an afternoons shooting which he agreed but told us to be careful as a public footpath runs down one side of the field, so we drove back and set up off the edge with the footpath so we would see people and stop shooting. We did not start shooting till 15.30 , after setting up with dog walkers comming past and asking about the decoys and the magnet others questioned if we had permission to be on the field . The birds decoyed very well and came in pairs to the pattern so as we packed up at 18.00 we collected one hundred and twenty pigeons and one Jackdaw . We had completed in excess of one hundred miles criss crossing our permissions looking for birds , the field we actually shot was only five acres in size so all the bird would decoy and the bonus is it was a new permission.

cde6a07a-6aa6-437a-b75b-74e9c9b56c62_zps

76f0da67-ed5f-49cf-bfcb-f3fea83ffa0d_zps

Good recovery on both days.

I have said it before, stay in bed until lunch time, get some brownie points, then go out.

If I knew where we were going to set up and shoot I would, to cover our permissions properly it takes at least four hours so we have to go out as no farmers phone you on the stubbles only the rape in the winter.

Don't worry I still get my brownie points as I'm a night person SWMBO is not a good morning person. After forty three years of married bliss I've found the best sleeping pill around???????

Super bags. Incidentally, do you think you have a lot of birds or is the decoying and kill ratio just consistent? We don't have anywhere near the numbers to do that week after week. Then again I don't know what I would do with them. I would love to see you two in action. A PC training weekend would be a cash cow I'm sure

Super bags. Incidentally, do you think you have a lot of birds or is the decoying and kill ratio just consistent? We don't have anywhere near the numbers to do that week after week. Then again I don't know what I would do with them. I would love to see you two in action. A PC training weekend would be a cash cow I'm sure

I think the Midlands has a good head of birds due to the amounts of cereal crops grown and the ancient " Forest Of Arden" which predominately deciduous trees and the birds we shoot are WOOD Pigeons . But the flocks are nomadic it being their natural sense.

Our decoying knowledge is built up over 25 plus years and our fieldcraft makes us confident in our set up.

We both compliment each other in our shooting ability as DB was taking some shots that were space like and mine is the quick double in the pattern . When a birds is comming to the pattern we decide the person to shoot and the other stands back so you have fre range in the hide.

Re a training weekend would be fraud as we only do what others do , we are lucky that we cover a lot of ground.

Thanks for your comments and good luck.

Edited by pigeon controller

Rewarded once again for your patience and perisistance. I think I'd have went home in a hissy fit after finding out about the second wedding!

Your modesty on being able to consistently produce big bags does you credit. I'm sure plenty other PW members put in the recce miles but produce nothing like your bags.