wind - or lack of it......

fishot

Still very much learning so be gentle:-

Set up this morning on newly cut field with high hopes but it was just so still - a few hundred on the field but one shot and all gone and at least an hour before anything came back, another shot and ditto.

Very frustrating. Is it ever possible to have a decent day in totally still conditions?

Still very much learning so be gentle:-

Set up this morning on newly cut field with high hopes but it was just so still - a few hundred on the field but one shot and all gone and at least an hour before anything came back, another shot and ditto.

Very frustrating. Is it ever possible to have a decent day in totally still conditions?

What do you mean 'one shot and all gone'?

I mean there were birds on the field (it's a big field) and in surrounding trees and when one came into the decoys I shot it and the rest approx 200 fled never to be seen again for a good hour then they started to drop into surrounding trees and then onto the field. I shot another bird and the whole lot fled again for another hour. There were no birds using the usual flightline for the 3 or so hours I was there so no steady stream of birds like I have seen before.

Any advice appreciated..........

I mean there were birds on the field (it's a big field) and in surrounding trees and when one came into the decoys I shot it and the rest approx 200 fled never to be seen again for a good hour then they started to drop into surrounding trees and then onto the field. I shot another bird and the whole lot fled again for another hour. There were no birds using the usual flightline for the 3 or so hours I was there so no steady stream of birds like I have seen before.

I see . It can be hard, but try walking off as many birds as possible before commencing the shooting. They will then by less frightened and more likely to come back.

That's what they do these days, unless they really WANT that particular field - and they have a lot of choice......

I agree with motty on this, you must get the birds away from the field before you start shooting. It's common sense really ,if you start shooting with the birds there you've frightened most of the birds before you have started. It can be a pain in the behind but you must get the birds away from the area , I normally walk them off or if it's a field I can drive on I move them off with the truck

I agree with motty on this, you must get the birds away from the field before you start shooting. It's common sense really ,if you start shooting with the birds there you've frightened most of the birds before you have started. It can be a pain in the behind but you must get the birds away from the area , I normally walk them off or if it's a field I can drive on I move them off with the truck

We never let the birds see us set up if possible , walk them off or spook them by clapping them off . DB puts the decoys out and I build the hide . If I'm out alone hide first , decoys out , Magnet on walk back to the hide and shoot.