Advice on buying a Freelander

Marki

My trusty rav4 gave up the ghost last year so I'm in the market for another cheap 4x4, preferably auto. A Freelander has turned up for sale down the road but I know very little about them.

Y reg (2001) diesel auto 170,000 miles 5 door. 12 months MOT (He'll mot it once a returnable deposit is paid. He's confident that there are no issues) new M&S tyres all round, recent full service and a new exhaust. Leather interior, average condition for the exterior. I've had a quick look and it started fine today although the throttle seemed a bit laggy when cold. No major rust is visible, usual stuff underneath, the only bit I'm aware of not working at the moment is one of the rear electric windows doesn't open. He is more than happy for me to take it out for a ride.

Bloke wants £1500 for it and I feel this is at least £300 too high but I'm a tight ****. I'd pay it if it is about right. Is there anything else I should check for?

I'm intrigued to know why you want, or are considering buying a first generation Freelander, when there are other makes that are so much better £ for £?

Saying that, I can hardly talk. I've had 3 Frontera's! :oops:.......... Although all have been reliable and good off-road with the right tyres...

What do you think of Suzuki Grand Vitara's, or another Rav 4, Or maybe a Honda CR-V? Arguably by far better than a Freelander? :)

Edited by jam1e

I wouldn't personally by a freelander as an off road car . They don't have a low range box and lack power in the rough stuff . I had two discos in the past and both cost me a fortune in repairs ,would never ever buy another land rover . The truck that I have at the moment ( a new l200 )is far better than the land rovers that I have owned .

Harnser

I'm intrigued to know why you want, or are considering buying a first generation Freelander, when there are other makes that are so much better £ for £?

Simply because it's available. Using all of the popular car selling sites give me a Challenger, a trooper, a shogun and a couple of range rovers within 30 miles and very little else within 50 miles. I'd happily buy a rav or vitara if I could find one that suits me without travelling for several hours.

I wouldn't personally by a freelander as an off road car . They don't have a low range box and lack power in the rough stuff . I had two discos in the past and both cost me a fortune in repairs ,would never ever buy another land rover . The truck that I have at the moment ( a new l200 )is far better than the land rovers that I have owned .

Harnser

Thanks for the info.

Simply because it's available. Using all of the popular car selling sites give me a Challenger, a trooper, a shogun and a couple of range rovers within 30 miles and very little else within 50 miles. I'd happily buy a rav or vitara if I could find one that suits me without travelling for several hours.

Oh I see. That's fair enough.... Having said that, I'd rather travel 2 hours or so, to get the "right" vehicle than buy the "best" one available in my area. Then spend loads of money keeping it on the road. In the long run, spending a small wedge on fuel, and losing a day or so here and there is, in my opinion, better than buying a problem vehicle that costs you a small fortune in break downs and repairs.

I've only known one person who owned a first generation Freelander, and he said it was "very unreliable". No idea why, but there you go...

Just avoid the infamous Rover K series 1.8 petrol engine model, you'll go through a head gasket or 2......

Good luck in your quest though. :)

Edited by jam1e

There is nothing more frustrating than travelling for a couple of hours to look at a 'mint' car just to find out that mint actually means full of holes. The amount of cr*p I've seen is ridiculous. I shall carry on looking.

Edited by Marki

That is huge mileage on a car not known for its reliability. Problem with the freelander is the main problems are electrical niggles which you cant fix with hammer and spanners, also the VCUs are an expensive fix but at that mileage it should have had at least one new one by now. Personally I wouldn't pay more than £800 for it.

Edited by ferguson_tom

DO NOT buy a Freelander. It's the worst vehicle landrover EVER made, and is renowned for problems.

Better buy a Discovery or a Range Rover than a Freelander

If you want a Land Roger, buy a defender or a series IIa/III as at least you can easily repair most things on those.

Better yet, buy a Japanese 4x4 LOL

Edited by Redditch

DO NOT buy a Freelander. It's the worst vehicle landrover EVER made, and is renowned for problems.

Better buy a Discovery or a Range Rover than a Freelander

If you want a Land Roger, buy a defender or a series IIa/III as at least you can easily repair most things on those.

Better yet, buy a Japanese 4x4 LOL

We have had 6 freelanders and never had a problem with them, the latest one has the auto box all the toys and is a great car, no regrets. Worst vehicle ever made by Land Rover,think there is plenty, including me that would disagree with such a sweeping statement but each to their own

Totally agree with all those saying don't buy one. I spent a few months looking for one and eventually concluded that they have just so many issues that they should be avoided at all cost. I turned my search to Honda CRV's but eventually bought a Ford Maverick (the Mazda version only sold in uk from 02/04)Sold in the states as the Ford Escape it was the best selling 4x4 over there for years. Ford dropped it here because they owned land rover and it was very similar to the freelander! Only downside is they are only available in petrol either 2l (mondeo) or 3l v6 auto. Mine is a 2l and is returning around 30 mpg.

I agree with Button. I've had an auto TD4 for a while now, it's just clicked over to 161k miles, and it hasn't put a foot wrong.

I think it's like most things on the internet, people are more likely to moan about them or ask questions when things go wrong.

I will be keeping mine until it dies, which I can't see it doing anytime soon.

Hayden

I have had Discos since 1992, had 3 Discos and now a Defender. First Disco got stolen but the other two went to 272k and 262K miles, defender is currently around 160k, I tow most days.

Have a odd problem yes but nothing to major, parts for older ones are cheap and plentiful. However I would NOT buy an early Freelander or a V6 Disco 3, both are money pits. Later Freelanders are not so bad.

A

I agree with Button. I've had an auto TD4 for a while now, it's just clicked over to 161k miles, and it hasn't put a foot wrong.

I think it's like most things on the internet, people are more likely to moan about them or ask questions when things go wrong.

I will be keeping mine until it dies, which I can't see it doing anytime soon.

Hayden

Snap.

Yes there are a few that have been awful, there's also loads that have been amazing. I love my auto. Great drive and goes anywhere.

Good friend of mine has a manual that's done 200k+ now.

Edited by bazzab