Advice on buying a Freelander

Marki

My trusty rav4 gave up the ghost last year so I'm in the market for another cheap 4x4, preferably auto. A Freelander has turned up for sale down the road but I know very little about them.

Y reg (2001) diesel auto 170,000 miles 5 door. 12 months MOT (He'll mot it once a returnable deposit is paid. He's confident that there are no issues) new M&S tyres all round, recent full service and a new exhaust. Leather interior, average condition for the exterior. I've had a quick look and it started fine today although the throttle seemed a bit laggy when cold. No major rust is visible, usual stuff underneath, the only bit I'm aware of not working at the moment is one of the rear electric windows doesn't open. He is more than happy for me to take it out for a ride.

Bloke wants £1500 for it and I feel this is at least £300 too high but I'm a tight ****. I'd pay it if it is about right. Is there anything else I should check for?

If you are only prepared to shell out £1500 for a car lets face it,no matter what car it is for that kind of cash it's going to be a heap of ****

This is the post that has completely made me change my mind. What a compelling arguement.

That's it, mine is now for sale@!!

Hahaha superb reply love it.

This is the post that has completely made me change my mind. What a compelling arguement.

That's it, mine is now for sale@!!

Hahaha superb reply love it.

If you are only prepared to shell out £1500 for a car lets face it,no matter what car it is for that kind of cash it's going to be a heap of ****

You will have to remind me of where I made this statement regarding the budget? That said my last Rav cost less than £1000 and did the job for a good few years with just basic servicing.

Dazzjo - I haven't but it's still the only one I've found. I'll give it another couple of weeks and then I'll have to look at PXing one of the cars at a local Suzuki place.

What this man says!!!

As a previous owner of two, petrol and diesel I can vouch for these wise words.

Advice on buying a freelander?, put simply, don't. Only buy any landrover if your handy with spanners or at least willing to learn, failing that you'll be on first name terms with your mechanic and broke.

Currently had my Yreg (2001) TD4 Auto ES for a year, The only thing I had go wrong with it were the dreaded "3 amigo lights" Which turned out to be a ABS Wheel Speed sensor, cost me £15 from Ebay and about 30 minutes to fix (Well Mr Potter to fix actually)

All these people who have said dont buy one, i wonder if they have ever actually owned one!

Yep, two F1's, both cost a fortune in repairs. Never again!!!!

Currently had my Yreg (2001) TD4 Auto ES for a year, The only thing I had go wrong with it were the dreaded "3 amigo lights" Which turned out to be a ABS Wheel Speed sensor, cost me £15 from Ebay and about 30 minutes to fix (Well Mr Potter to fix actually)

All these people who have said dont buy one, i wonder if they have ever actually owned one!

Must be honest and say DON'T..... I am on my third and it will be my last. Everything about them costs more in regards to servicing, parts, accessories and if you look around there are others that are less costly and can do the same job. Most shoots have left the Landy camp and now sport Mitsubishi or Volvo.

For what a Landy will cost you I think you could buy more with lower mileage in a Mitsubishi, Nissan or Volvo badge..... then there are the new boys Dacia and Great Wall that are rather nice and also do a lot off road.....

I'm not sure why you think the Yeti is a funny choice? I've had 3 of them and they are more than capable once you put decent tyres on them. I actually prefered it to the Tiguans and Q5 that I had. I did have an Octavia Scout once, nice enough but it didn't feel like it had enough ground clearance.

If it's for a shooting but,then simply stay away from stupid fancy electrics.Old cars & electrics are no mix,especially when your bashing it about.Look for the most basic 4x4 you can find,if your worried about fuel then your looking at the wrong kind of motor.My priority is basic I'm not even bothered about electric Windows as long as the thing goes up/down so I can pop the rifle out ASAP.

Fuel economy is of no concern at all. The only thing I have to have is an auto box. The car is for shooting but it's also to be used for commuting during the bad day of winter, we can have snow anytime from October to March.

If a jimny is not too small for you get one with an auto box I drove one last week when I was looking for a new one.Only reason I'm selling mine is I need an extra seat.When I got mine I took out the seats and welded 3mm steel plate in the back.But now since managing a shoot,her in doors wants to come out with me and the boy. Won't be looking at anything else other than another Jimny.

Edited by Davyo

Totally agree with all those saying don't buy one. I spent a few months looking for one and eventually concluded that they have just so many issues that they should be avoided at all cost. I turned my search to Honda CRV's but eventually bought a Ford Maverick (the Mazda version only sold in uk from 02/04)Sold in the states as the Ford Escape it was the best selling 4x4 over there for years. Ford dropped it here because they owned land rover and it was very similar to the freelander! Only downside is they are only available in petrol either 2l (mondeo) or 3l v6 auto. Mine is a 2l and is returning around 30 mpg.

Got to say I agree with this post. Anyone looking for a cheap 4x4 could do much worse than the 2lt Maverick (Mazda version). I wouldn't touch the 3lt but the 2lt has the Mondeo engine which is very common so parts are cheap and every garage can find its way around if you do have a problem. The running gear is Mazda so you get Japanese reliability. Its also quite a light car compared with other 4x4's. Mine weighs in at just 1500 kgs so keeps going across a wet field when others are getting stuck. Driven sensibly I get 29 mpg.

You can buy a mint low mileage one for £1500 if you are prepared to travel.

If it was my money I would be looking at Subaru foresters or outbacks!!!! The 4wd system on these cars are fantastic and that's coming from a landrover owner!!! Freelanders are very good cars but as all green ovals,NEED tlc!!!!!

Most haters that say they are rubbish and expensive use garages to fix the problems rather than themselves!!

I'd love to have a jimny but I can't find an auto one within a reasonable distance. I'm sure either that or a rav4 will turn up eventually.

Ground clearance on the Rav 4 i(5door)s very poor,if they have those silly side steps the the distance to the ground is about 6inches.

Edited by Davyo