New l200

ferguson_tom

Hi everyone

My company after a couple of years of asking have finally buckled and told me to go find a pick-up. I was pretty sure I wanted the Ford ranger but after sitting in it was not too sure. I am not too keen on the hilux or navara for the simple reason new ones will be coming out next year and they are both getting quite old now.

All reports of the new L200 have been good and the supposed 42mpg is obviously of interest. But has anyone driven one or own one yet? If so how do you rate it and do you get the 40mpg or anywhere close?

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom

I have a L200 Browning edition (April 15), I think it is based on the Trojan.

Great truck not sure about 42 to the gallon but pretty good anyway.

2.5 litre engine .

I am very pleased with it.

Thanks Terry, I noticed that some of the lease firms we deal with are doing cracking deals on your shape one as the new one has come out they want to get rid of them so that could be another option.

Thinking more about it the hilux and navara are still both great trucks so may get prices on those as well..as its lease it doesnt really matter what its worth at the end even if new shape one does come out.

The amarok I think is overpriced and due to the amount of towing it will be doing a 2.0 seems far too small even with biturbos. All reports on the Isuzu are very good but I don't like the styling.

fair enough mate :) But for towing the Dmax does have the highest towing capacity 3.5t, but I think whatever you get you'll get a good pick up tbh

I have a 15 plate warrior . My last truck was a navara teckna on a 59 plate . The navara was without a doubt the better truck to ride .very hi speck and lots of grunt .

The warrior on paper has the best 4 wheel drive of all the trucks and is not far behind the Nissan for grunt . Two really niggley things with the warrior ,I had to remove all the rear head rests so that I could see out of the back window ,a stupid ,stupid design . Also the interior plastics areas are cheap as you can get and squeak and rattle . Having said that ,the l200 is a very capable truck and I am learning to like mine .

The deal that Mitsubishi had on these trucks and the four wheel drive system with the diff locks in high and low range persuaded me to buy the warrior .

What's the better truck of the two? In my opinion as my trucks are driven mostly on the road and not so much off road ,although I do go off road most days . To my mind the navara is the best driving truck out there .

Harnser

After speaking to a couple of the lease firms we deal with I have been offered some good deals on both the new L200 and a navara, even though I weren't to keen on navara as its an old model and new one is coming out next year but interesting what you say harnser about the navara being better to drive. Supposedly the new series 5 l200 is meant to be a real step up and all the reviews are very positive so going to take it for a test drive tomorrow, assuming it's as good as they say hopefully will get an order placed in next week or so.

Went and test drove the new L200 and was very impressed, handles nicely and pulls well. Imo it has the best interior over the other trucks I have seen, the navara comes very close though but not as modern.

Think I am gonna go for the barbarian in electric blue. The price difference between warrior and barbarian is virtually nothing especially on contract hire. If anyone local is looking, best price I have so far is from duxford Mitsubishi who even beat Lex rentals...let's wait and see what they come back with tomorrow though.

Just about to go for a similar deal, would be very interested to know how you get on Tom

Rough figures. New L200 warrior 18000 miles a year fully maintained with tires, canopy, load liner and towbar with 13pin electrics. over 36months: £435.00. over 48 months: £406.00. all prices ex VAT (first month deposit is 3 payments so 3+35 and 3+46)

Lex have come back and beaten the Mitsi quote but only by couple hundred quid over the full term.

And those figures show why if you have the money then it's cheaper to buy outright

Personally I didnt think it was that bad, the actual vehicle lease cost (without service and maintenance) over the 4 years is about 16k . To buy outright with the options I want is 26k. At the end of the 4 years and 70000 miles I dont think the truck would be worth much for than 10k so your not gonna be that much better off buying than leasing.

Excellent, I was wondering if you can have extras incorporated to the contact hire deal.

Yes you can but what they seem do is charge you a set rental fee for the basic truck, all accessories are then totted up at list price and split over the term of the contract. The big expense on mine is the hardtop @ £1500 so over 36months is an extra 42 quid a month, over 48 months 32 quid a month. So as you can guess couple of extras soon makes it a considerable amount more each month.

Also dont tell the dealership you are looking at a contract hire until after your test drive, a couple got a bit hesitant about spending their time with me as they dont make much money off them anyway and know they struggle to match the big rentals firms prices like Lex.

Edited by ferguson_tom

Had a test drive today, L200 Warrior, the Barbarian doesn't seem to offer anything worth paying extra for. I really liked it, and for me the Contract Hire deal is appealing, I have no interest in sinking a load of money into a new car, the payments on Contract Hire are tax deductible, and I get the VAT back, I'd struggle to get that kind of benefit with any new car deal. My only problem is that really I need a roller blind type load cover and it seems they don't do one for the Series 5, but aftermarket ones are available, but that means spending another grand. Are the hard tops very secure?

Had a test drive today, L200 Warrior, the Barbarian doesn't seem to offer anything worth paying extra for. I really liked it, and for me the Contract Hire deal is appealing, I have no interest in sinking a load of money into a new car, the payments on Contract Hire are tax deductible, and I get the VAT back, I'd struggle to get that kind of benefit with any new car deal. My only problem is that really I need a roller blind type load cover and it seems they don't do one for the Series 5, but aftermarket ones are available, but that means spending another grand. Are the hard tops very secure?

The roller top is a standard option as I've got one fitted to my new mark 5