newbie..help

misser

Hi....got a mate that wants to get into airguns, he wants something to use on rabbits/rats/general plinking etc at about 30yds and wants to spend around the 100 to 120 mark....I said a springer but that's about all I know...any info or recommendations on makes and models would be appreciated....thanks...atb...misser

The SMK range is good value for money. The XS19 or XS20 are both break-barrel rifles, and they are around £100. The XS38's are underlever rifles, and are around £120 - £150.

They are all OK straight out of the box, but if your friend is fairly handy with simple hand tools they can be made into superb little rifles. Check out the "UK Chinese Airgun Forum" for all the info and help you'll ever need, including tuning guides and modifications etc etc:-

http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Not sure why anyone would buy an SMK air rifle when you can get a Hatsan 55 S or 60 S for £110-£125 and have something that doesn't need fiddling, is a reasonably decent quality and is suitable for the job.

Avoid the Remmington Express like the plague too

Edited by Zenduri

• 2 weeks later...

thanks gents...someone did mention a BSA hornet....any views on these

I had one as my first PCP in .22 cal. Good rifles and built like a tank. I traded it in eventually as I couldn't get on with the cocking mechanism at the end of the forend. Don't forget you will have to have some means of filling it up with air. Depending how old you are you have the choice, pump or bottle? Personally I would go for a bottle, as I did.

For 100-120 you can get a hatsan 55 or 65 which has a better trigger than the 900x

For break barrel the 900x isn't that different to the 55 and would save you a bunch plus if his budget is 100-120 neither those leave room for a scope. But i agree both better guns especially the 65 what a bargain for a pcp!