60 bagged on Spring Barley stubble

ShropshireSam

Been watching a couple of spring barley fields since cut about 2 weeks ago. Good numbers on Saturday but couldn't get out, Next to village so left until today and got out about 2 pm. About 150 pigeons in various sitty trees but none on ground. Three stubble fields all with at least a couple of popular sitty trees. Set up as far from village as I could (about 300 yards) between 2 oaks about 15 yards apart. Set up with 2 clumps in front of each tree and magnet at front of clump to my left. Birds did not decoy well at first but once had 2 dead birds on magnet and a few out in the pattern then birds decoyed but did not commit to pattern but tended to swirl around tree tops. Made for some difficult shooting as not much gap between the two trees and I did not shoot well to start. Moved magnet to front of clump on my right and this seemed to pull birds either into the decoys or up into tree on right. A stop start session with some nice busy flurries. Traffic stopped at 5:30 and packed up at 6. Finished with 60 picked from 125 shots.

Good bag & a decent ratio, you can't have shot that bad!

Thanks...my shooting was poor to start as birds tended to come in behind the trees so I had to decide whether to shoot through the branches or wait to see if they came other the top, which most of them did, but when they did I had very little window before they were over the second tree. Made me indecisive and I missed opportunities to take shots or missed the shot. Started with a ratio of about 4:1 for the first 10 birds...then started to learn the options the birds were taking from the different flight lines, and then when I moved the magnet many were easier shots either coming into the decoys or diagonally into the tree to my left. I should have tried moving the magnet much earlier. Still missed a few I shouldn't have.