Autumn drilling.

JDog

Drilling has been in full swing here in the Wolds for the last week or so. It is mostly wheat that is being sown but I have seen two field of beans being drilled.

I walked across one field this morning. Despite stupendous modern machinery and good land and a fine seed bed there is a lot of wheat spillage. This field has been sown for five days and there has yet to be a pigeon on it.

Edited by JDog

I think Pigeon controller...............hit the "nail on the head" in one of his recent posts.................he is always getting amongst the birds....and mentions that most of his "regular" bags are a result of the large tracks of natural woodland ney forest he has near him...after all it is a WOOD PIGEON...and these woods act as a true home and a reservoir.....then during the coarse of the year the migrant birds come in which supplement the bags............

i like JDog suffer from a regular supply of birds....big bags are not normal around here.....but we have lots of small pockets of woodland dotted all over the place ...and maybe that is why they disperse so much and the flocks are much smaller....i dont get any decent shooting until the beet is starting to be lifted.....not cause they like it ...because that is the time of year when we see large flocks of migrant birds come in..................

just a thought anyway !!

I think Pigeon controller...............hit the "nail on the head" in one of his recent posts.................he is always getting amongst the birds....and mentions that most of his "regular" bags are a result of the large tracks of natural woodland ney forest he has near him...after all it is a WOOD PIGEON...and these woods act as a true home and a reservoir.....then during the coarse of the year the migrant birds come in which supplement the bags............

i like JDog suffer from a regular supply of birds....big bags are not normal around here.....but we have lots of small pockets of woodland dotted all over the place ...and maybe that is why they disperse so much and the flocks are much smaller....i dont get any decent shooting until the beet is starting to be lifted.....not cause they like it ...because that is the time of year when we see large flocks of migrant birds come in..................

just a thought anyway !!

Ditchman , the main thing about the " Forest of Arden " is that it's been around for centuries and must be in the genes of all our pigeons. Someone will tell me but I belive it stretched down to Oxford and up to Sherwood in its heyday.

One of my farmers has JUST started to combine the last 9-11 fields (mostly barley, a couple of wheat fields left)

This has taken so long due to the amount of wet weather we've had here this year again :(

About HALF of the fields won't be shootable, due to surrounding houses, and several of those being extreme antis.

That said, one field is directly behind my house, and a few other down the other side of the town, and I usually get reasonable corvid bags (sometimes pigeons too) off those

So here's hoping :)

Drilling has been in full swing here in the Wolds for the last week or so. It is mostly wheat that is being sown but I have seen two field of beans being drilled.

I walked across one field this morning. Despite stupendous modern machinery and good land and a fine seed bed there is a lot of wheat spillage. This field has been sown for five days and there has yet to be a pigeon on it.

me and my mate were talking about this at the weekend there has been no driliing yet around here and we dont expect much when its drilled. i think there has been so much spillage that they can get all they need from stubble.all the birds we shot sunday afternoon goin to roost were full of wheat and barley and these stubbles have been around for a few weeks now.while typing this my mate phoned to say we had a field of wheat drilled yesterday he is currently on a 4 acre rape field that has never been shot before with a barley stubble on one side and bean stubble 2 fields away and hes on 76 so far, he thinks they are on their way to the beans but decoying quite nicely for a change and no jdog hes not winding me up

Harvest home,hauled to Immingham,straw baled up,land power-harrowed,winter wheat drilled and rolled and despite wastage on the headlands and gearings not a pigeon to be seen.

Beans next,but for reasons unknown the pigeons around here leave them alone.Potatoes and sugar beet after that.I long for the days when we had hard weather with birds on kale and sprouts.Tempus fugit.

Harvest home,hauled to Immingham,straw baled up,land power-harrowed,winter wheat drilled and rolled and despite wastage on the headlands and gearings not a pigeon to be seen.

Beans next,but for reasons unknown the pigeons around here leave them alone.Potatoes and sugar beet after that.I long for the days when we had hard weather with birds on kale and sprouts.Tempus fugit.

Huh ...you have a short memory...or as 'ard as nails...............the thing that used to fill me with dread was beating in the early 70's when it had been raining or snowing................i always got the short straw to go thro "Marrow stem kale"............i swear to god each leaf would hold 1/2 gallon of ice cold water......... :oops: