How many Canada decoys to start out with

clanchief

If i were you' Id just buy one decoy and dress "Black tie" and sit out in the middle of the field' they'l come no problem. Only joking' sorry for being a smart ***.

Half a Dozen decoys may be all you need, If the geese have not been shot up to much. If they are coming to the field from the reservoir on a regular basis like you say' then there is no reason why 6 decoys wont do. They will be coming regardless' so want you want to do is get them where you will be hidden. Place your 6 decoys keeping them well apart' 3 or 4 yards should do. A call would be a good aid and im pretty sure they will come for a look see. And remember to take your shot when they are in range' For me thats what decoying is about' getting the birds into range for a shot. What you see in them American Dvd's for me is pretty stupid. Loaded up with the heaviest shot possible and then punching holes in geese 5 to 10 yards up. Take your shot when they present themselves and if you get a couple then you can add them to your spread.

There are other options if you have the time to make some silhouettes or even flat oval shape cut outs painted black and white to add to your half dozen.

You mention good flightlines' well if you get yourself under them' you may not even need decoys. Good luck.

Thanks all, I have got six Fuds and a DJ call to start with. Don't mind buying more Fuds

I have not shot at the Geese at all,,, I have been letting them get accustomed to the area(field) for some time, both flight lines are good, under the oaks on the north edge of the Poachy Glen( real name from the map Google it) so easy to just wait under a tree, and over the heather moor on the south, just need to sit beside the wall or gorse bush and wait for them flying onto the Reservoir.

Chiefy

You won't need many ...... set up the ones you kill also to make the pattern more realistic.

I'd see how they come in without the call also .... so often less is more with these ....

I'd imagine it will be easier than you think ... be sure to set yourself a limit also ... easy to end up with more than you can use if they come in well.

Decoys are one of those things that you tend to add to in time and even when you have enough its still hard to resist a bargin or the latest model. As for me a dozen goose shells are plenty to carry a few hundred yards ( and dont forget the all the geese you are going to shoot that will add to the weight you have to carry back LOL ) and these days I never take all the decoys out I have in the shed. Good quality decoys are not cheap and as Boyd says six is plenty to start with.

Just one other thing get the right spot and the right decoys and geese can commit sucide over them so take care to keep the bags moderate , to a level you can eat without waste as Smokersmith mentions.