Sec58

Dannyboy220

I'm selling a Hushpower on another site. I only listed it yesterday and last night I missed a call at 23:59 pm. At midnight a text came through from the guy saying sorry for ringing so late but interested in my gun.

I didn't wake to any of this so replied this morning to say it's for sale if you're interested.

He's no replied asking if it needs a license as he's willing to pay a bit more to add to his collection!

Says he collects sec58 whatever that is? Anyone?

Sec 58 is an antique firearm where by the weapon is still "live" but the calibre is obsolete and virtually no chance of being able to be fired. Ie if you found an old Brown Bess that couldnt be fired due to its age and circumstances it would then become a Sec 58 and not need to be on a licence.As far as the hush power goes, its not a Sec 58 and still needs to be on a SGC. So this other chap needs to have an SGC before you can sell it to him.

I'm selling a Hushpower on another site. I only listed it yesterday and last night I missed a call at 23:59 pm. At midnight a text came through from the guy saying sorry for ringing so late but interested in my gun.

I didn't wake to any of this so replied this morning to say it's for sale if you're interested.

He's no replied asking if it needs a license as he's willing to pay a bit more to add to his collection!

Says he collects sec58 whatever that is? Anyone?

I'd be passing his details to the police pronto - unless you've worded it differently - as it sounds like he wants to buy a Section 2 shotgun WITHOUT having a valid Shotgun Certificate.

He MAY be a valid collector....but what serious collector would openly encourage a certificate holder to break the law (& risk loss of their SGC) for a couple of extra quid??

The other reason to pass the info the police?

It MAY be that it's a "fishing trip" buy - LOTS of media attention on the legitimate sporting gun at the moment - so you could have pinged on the radar of a member of the gutter-pig-meeja.....or even a police led operation looking for an "in" to do some clamping down....

I'd be passing his details to the police pronto - unless you've worded it differently - as it sounds like he wants to buy a Section 2 shotgun WITHOUT having a valid Shotgun Certificate.

He MAY be a valid collector....but what serious collector would openly encourage a certificate holder to break the law (& risk loss of their SGC) for a couple of extra quid??

The other reason to pass the info the police?

It MAY be that it's a "fishing trip" buy - LOTS of media attention on the legitimate sporting gun at the moment - so you could have pinged on the radar of a member of the gutter-pig-meeja.....or even a police led operation looking for an "in" to do some clamping down....

Oh, I've seen it before. Actually with a 12 bore O/U I had advertised on Gunwatch. THey were swiftly told to do one, and that their telephone number had been passed to plod (which it was). Doubt anything was ever done, as I'd have heard back regarding witness statements, etc. if needed for a prosecution.

Which is why I insist on an incident number for anything I have occasion to contact them over, nowadays. A lot more likely that they will take action if they know it is 'on the record'.

It does happen all deals to the police and they can deal with them.

Section 58 is antique with ammunition not readily available like short chambered 10 bores and martini henry 450/577 all fired regularly but ammo has to be home made or is hard to get hold of.

If you are intending to shot them they must be on a current certificate

Edited by welshwarrior