4x4 vehicles

Harnser

Do recalls count against reliability tables ? Toyota have to recall about 6.5 MILLION vehicles apparently due to setting fire, the article said this was on top of 15 MILLION already recalled for other reasons (have they made that many?)

Vauxhall have to recall tens of thousands of some model, again due to setting fire. Surely 15 million in one recall and six and a half in another should put them well down the list. or doesn't selling cars with dangerous defects count :lol:

Edited by rodp

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 million recall doesn't mean they are all naff, just a pr thingy covering their ***** in case something does happen, theres always gonna be naff ones, theyre built by robots not humans now..ha ha :whistling:

don't believe all the figures they tell you, its just a drip in the ocean compared to how many don't have any issues. the problem with todays society is everything made is now throwaway and easily replaceable. Cars in general last many years with very little maintenance these days with the exception that when they are faulty or in need of servicing they must be done by people who have the right tools whether that's a plug in laptop job or something as silly as brake pads which now most have to have special tools to wind the bloody pistons back in, gone are the days of a bit of leverage with a big old screwdriver or trolley jack handle :lol:

Edited by craftycarper

I had a 2.0 litre vitara... cats went over £300

Jimny.... head gasket went twice...

Current freelander? Good as gold.

Sorry, I mean no disrespect but poor post imo. Land rover bashing.. zzzzzzzz.

I know let's discuss the better calibre .22 against .177....

Boring....

I had a 2.0 litre vitara... cats went over £300

Jimny.... head gasket went twice...

Current freelander? Good as gold.

Sorry, I mean no disrespect but poor post imo. Land rover bashing.. zzzzzzzz.

I know let's discuss the better calibre .22 against .177....

Boring....

OT I know but I have an old .177 air rifle for targets, always wondered whether a .22 would have been better. mind you I did buy the .177 about 30yrs ago!

The problem with Landrovers is people buying them that can't afford to maintain them (properly) hence the Rubbish that is getting sold on in the second hand trade today.Then again even the new ones their owners don't have much confidence in them,I ended up unhooking the trailer off a 12 plate defender110 & hooking it up to the Jimny as he was not confident the defender would make through the firebreak apparently it was a bit wet😂The Jimny sailed through in 4wd ( not Low Ratio)& the price difference,eh about 10k.Told him to trade it in

for a Focus or a people carrier lol.

Edited by Davyo

The problem with Landrovers is people buying them that can't afford to maintain them (properly) hence the Rubbish that is getting sold on in the second hand trade today.Then again even the new ones their owners don't have much confidence in them,I ended up unhooking the trailer off a 12 plate defender110 & hooking it up to the Jimny as he was not confident the defender would make through the firebreak apparently it was a bit wetThe Jimny sailed through in 4wd ( not Low Ratio)& the price difference,eh about 10k.Told him to trade it in

for a Focus or a people carrier lol.

A Jimny versus a Defender, towing a trailer on a muddy track. I just don't get the way some folks minds work :hmm:

I have a discovery 4 commercial 2010. It's had 2 clutches previously I hit had one put in for the cheap sum of *£1600

And I've just booked it in for the big service including all the oils which will be another £1000 roughly . Not cheap motoring but when you need a 4X4 you can't go wrong with a Landrover

Over the years I have had defenders discoverys.range rover.mazda and ranger pick ups and hilux.by far the best of the lot is the Toyota.in my opinion based on ownership reliable comfortable.And virtually indestructible.

And yet mine died whilst towing, due to a fault known by Toyota but not rectified ! Seems they all have their problems. Oh, and a very good friend of mine was almost killed in one, again due to a known fault :sad1: And when you hear they have to recall 6.5 million vehicles due to setting fire, and this is on top of the 15million a while back (according to report) then you realise Toyota are very good at brushing over "minor problems" :whistling:

And yet mine died whilst towing, due to a fault known by Toyota but not rectified ! Seems they all have their problems. Oh, and a very good friend of mine was almost killed in one, again due to a known fault :sad1: And when you hear they have to recall 6.5 million vehicles due to setting fire, and this is on top of the 15million a while back (according to report) then you realise Toyota are very good at brushing over "minor problems" :whistling:

I only speak as I find.The other 4x4s I have owned all gave trouble and some of it very costly.My last experience with land rover was just under 3k in a year that decided it for me.Also very sluggish when towing.Toyota in my life has pulled 3.5 ton trailer loaded most days sold them on when reached around 220k miles without any expense other than tyres and brake pads.The last four hilux we have had have not cost anything like the last td5 did in under a year.Just my opinion based on my experience.It does strike me as a little strange that after several changes of ownership lr have not raised their standards of build quality in the slightest and have some of the most arrogant dealerships I have ever come into contact with.

I only speak as I find.The other 4x4s I have owned all gave trouble and some of it very costly.My last experience with land rover was just under 3k in a year that decided it for me.Also very sluggish when towing.Toyota in my life has pulled 3.5 ton trailer loaded most days sold them on when reached around 220k miles without any expense other than tyres and brake pads.The last four hilux we have had have not cost anything like the last td5 did in under a year.Just my opinion based on my experience.It does strike me as a little strange that after several changes of ownership lr have not raised their standards of build quality in the slightest and have some of the most arrogant dealerships I have ever come into contact with.

I'm glad someone else wonders about that. The simple fact is that they don't need to. The "facts" we keep reading about either just cannot be true, or, all manufacturers suffer similar. It has to be one of those, otherwise they wouldn't grow at the rate they are, they just would not sell the vehicles.

Going back to Toyota, did you know they recalled 15 million vehicles last year (ish) ? Or they have to recall 6+ million this year ? I've seen one article about it, just a small piece in the middle of a newspaper, if it had been LR it would have been all over the web by now. .......................... WHY ??

I am sorry but if lr were so successful they would never have been sold off and to end up in the hands of an Indian company.As we all know India are long established makers of quality vehicles.;). All car makers will have to recall vehicle vw the latest.And we accept that as most are simple things lr do not do many recalls as there cars are in the dealers so often it would be a waste of a stamp ;).You sir have the same right as me you can choose who to spend your cash with.I bought a range rover for just under 80k and sold it less than eighteen months later as it was in the dealers for more time than I had it.My current vehicles do not see the dealers other than routine service and that is good enough for me.

You obviously don't know that much about JLR then. Yes it has an Indian owner, TATA group, but so have a lot of financial groups and property companies around the world. TATA is huge, and cars are a very small part of it.

JLR increased production 3 fold last year and intend to double it again next year, that's a six fold increase in two or three years. Name another motor manufacturer in the world that's done that ? As for Indian owners, yes, you're correct, but they have nothing to do with design or production. All they've done is invest where Rover, Ford and BMW creamed the top off. There's something like 30 odd new models due out shortly, obviously some will be variations on existing, some brand new.

Can't be that bad can they, as they're probably the fastest growing motor manufacturer in the world !

How do I know ? we do work for them and are now struggling to keep up.

LR are only Indian owned now because one politico told his friend Ratan Tata to buy them even though it seemed daft at the time.

Defenders will be the new Royal Enfields any days soon.

Apparently not ! Factory rumour has it they're not going to India. It's already set up in a south American country (can't remember which) and another due in China it seems (rumour at the moment)

Reading through all these posts has made me realise one thing....

They all ****....my first 4x4 was a K reg discovery, followed by a Honda CRV, then a 110 SW, then a Jap import Isuzu Trooper, then in my Turbo years an Subaru Impreza....back to reality then it was an ex AA Vauxhall Brava or whatever they called it, soon replaced that with a trouble free BMW X3, when I eventually manned up I got myself a Land Rover 90 County but when my spine caved in an L200 was the weapon of choice....

I now have a Shogun but as the MPG is getting noticed I'm thinking Range Rover ;-)

Happy motoring!

Lots of interesting talk on here lately about 4x4 cars . I have owned one for the past 40years or so for the main purpose of shooting .

Without a 4x4 my access to my shooting would be very limited and envolve a lot of hard work humping my gear about the farms . All of the 4x4 cars are fuel thirsty ,most of them weigh 2 ton or more and have to propelled along while you listen to the fuel gurgling through the fuel pipes . Do you want one or not ? If so then you have to bite the bullet and pay the extra fuel bills that they cost to drive on the road .Having one will make shooting much easier .

My advise for anybody looking for a 4x4 is to buy a jap pickup of the latest year that you can afford ,stay away from any of the land rovers these will cost lots of money to keep on the road trust me I have had them all . A modern pick up should return you close to 30 miles per gallon average . If this seems expensive then perhaps you shouldn't go down the 4x4 road . The 4x4 is a convenianance that I cannot be without .

Harnser

what a load of drivel- were u blootered when u wrote this?

what a load of drivel- were u blootered when u wrote this?

What's drivel about this post? He is right,the first question anybody asks on here about any 4x4 is what's the best mpg.If mpg bothers you then don't even think 4x4 because if you can't afford the fuel then its likely you can't afford to maintain it either.That post is spot on,I also couldn't manage without a 4x4 they are an essential tool.And any reliable 4x4 will do as long as it fits my pocket and does everything that's expected to enable me to run my shoot effectively.There seems to be a lot of snobbery around the 4x4 scene that's for sure.

Edited by Davyo

Pray tell me why the post is drivel? Incidently I am teetotal and all ways have been.

Harnser

I think perhaps this may have something to do with it

stay away from any of the land rovers these will cost lots of money to keep on the road

I can say in all honesty that Series, Defenders and Disco's have been the cheapest motors I have ever run. I've had them since I was 17 (62 now) and have run other motors alongside them but nothing has worked out so cheap overall as the LR's :good: And if you take resale price in to the equation they've made a profit compared to other vehicles :yahoo: