Armsan A612

Hi all

After purchasing the gun performed really well but when I ran out of hb pigeon cartridges I have tried all sorts.

I have been getting loads of flappers very few clean kills.

I have since checked the chokes and have found the full choke is very full. The half choke is 3/4 and the skeet coke is 1/4

The patterns are lucky dip to say the least.

I was wondering if anyone has notice the same.

I'm told Berreta chokes fit these guns but I'm not sure.

Also anyone found which cartridges do well in them.

As I thought.

Was thinking if Berreta chokes fit that may solve the problem.

The chokes supplied are obviously cheap and nasty as the patterns produced are rubbish.You could fit a saucer in places where shot should be with any of the chokes supplied.

But the gun itself is very good value.

You could fit a saucer in places where shot should be with any of the chokes supplied.

From what you describe the OEM chokes are way out of order. Obviously, it all depends on the degree of choke as to how many, but if your saucers were some 5" in diameter, you should expect a number of them to fit without overlapping in any pattern.

Have. Picked up chokes going out today.

Regarding saucers I can place a 4 inch saucer in the pattern twice where there is no shot holes.

No wonder I'm missing or wounding so many.

Will pattern these new ones for comparison before setting up. this must be a common fault or do other owners put it down to poor Shooting.

Definitely worth a few minutes to see if the same problem occurs.

Have. Picked up chokes going out today.

Regarding saucers I can place a 4 inch saucer in the pattern twice where there is no shot holes.

No wonder I'm missing or wounding so many.

Will pattern these new ones for comparison before setting up. this must be a common fault or do other owners put it down to poor Shooting.

Definitely worth a few minutes to see if the same problem occurs.

Oops! Best you keep the old chokes, they're not your problem.

The number of non overlapping 5" diameter holes that can be expected for the given amount of pellets in the pattern is as is below. Obviously, the lower numbers reflect the better pattern quality.

PW does not tabulate well so the left hand column is the number of pellets in the 30" circle and the right gives the number of holes:

50--------13-19

100--------8-11

150--------4-7

200--------2-5

250--------0-3

300--------0-2

I can fill in some gaps, but am unable to give the good to poor range, just the average number:

80--------12.3

120-------7.3

140-------5.9

160-------4.7

180-------3.6

220-------2.3

240-------1.8

260-------1.4

280-------1.0

Source: Oberfell and Thompson

Edited by wymberley

Have purchased 1 berretta 1/4 choke.

Patterned nicely no big holes.

The difference is clear.

Saved the old chokes.

Set up only missed 3 no flappers

What you need to be careful of is new armsans have long chokes mine are about 2 in long as against the new ones are about 3 in long.

Tried ringing the importers waste of time. They just sell them.

How on earth you can shoot clays with the no 5 choke being tight 1/4 I don't know.

They say maximum half choke for steel

That's a little worrying. As the no 3 half choke is tight 3/4 and the no 1 is a very tight full.

More to follow I think.

Edited by mellors

I am not arguing with your post but just adding some balance to the suggestion there maybe a degree of inaccuracy with the choke sizing. I also have an Armsan 612 and have compared the chokes with my Beretta Mobil ones and the difference between them is not worth talking about maybe one point ( thou ) at best. If you have used a choke carrot to check the size then these are for a guide only and can be quite inaccurate. I use my 612 for clays on rainy days at anything from 10 to 60 yards with the supplied half choke and have no problems.

Thanks all

Now sorted after a lot checking at gunsmiths we have found the chokes supplied are incorrectly stamped we checked a new gun on the shelf and this measured correctly.

Suppose it happens.

Anyone owning one would be wise to check as it will be a batch that's gone through.

All checks were done with a micrometer as we all know choke gauges are not reliable

Thanks all

Now sorted after a lot checking at gunsmiths we have found the chokes supplied are incorrectly stamped we checked a new gun on the shelf and this measured correctly.

Suppose it happens.

Anyone owning one would be wise to check as it will be a batch that's gone through.

All checks were done with a micrometer as we all know choke gauges are not reliable

Thanks all

Suppose it happens.

I still don't understand how the chokes being incorrectly stamped has anything to do with wounding pigeons.

The problem has been the 3 chokes supplied with this gun are very tight full. Full choke. Very tight 3/4.

They also patterned very poorly absolutely no use.

Have now been sent a new set with apologies. It looks like I got rejects thrown in with this gun by some error. Response from manufacturer has been excellent.

Now happy and would recommend them for the money.

• 1 month later...

I have owned and shot the red receiver version of the A612s since Jan 2015 with no problem. I bought "Muller Chokes" the U0 U1 and U2. They work great.

At my local club I normally get 20 ish out of 25 on the compak. But the only time I used the Armsan supplied choke I got 13 and I was using the same ammo. Not very scientific but ??