Browning semi-autos

B25Modelman

I have been looking at the Browning semi-auto guns, in particular the A5 and Maxus, leaning towards the Maxus in Premium Grade 3 or Ultimate Partridge.

I like a darkish wood with some pattern and browsing catalogues from 2004 thru 2014 there are some really nice guns shown with Grade 3 wood. When I look at the respective guns in stock with dealers, their Grade 3 wood looks what I would class as Standard Grade. No pattern, straight grain and light colour.

One dealer without stock stated he would order a gun should I wish to buy. But it would be luck of the draw what the actually looked like. I also noticed that many dealers showed the nice looking catalogue picture when advertising their so called gun in stock.

Also the catalogues state the Premium Grade 3 as their top of the line model in the Maxus family yet in the spec it has Grade 2 wood whereas the UP has grade 3. Rather odd that.

So what am I jabbering on about, well does anyone have either of the above guns and did they have to hunt around for a long time before finding one with nice woodwork. Perhaps a few pics maybe.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wymberley, your gun looks to be from the early models with a slightly different butt pad assembly. Please can you tell me the barrel length and the guns overall length, thanks

Also if anyone has a 28" or 30" gun new or early model and can provide overall length data it would be most helpful. I ask because my gun cabinet only just accepts a standard 30" B25.

I have always stored guns muzzle down after reading that excess oil could flow from the action into the woodwork if stored butt down. Yes, gun shops always have them butt down or horizontal but I suppose they would look odd tother way up.

Edited by B25Modelman

Semi autos are always longer

I used to equate it that a 28" auto was roughly the same length as a 30" O/U

30" semi = 32" O/U and so on

That's before you add in extended chokes.

If you really want a semi then you may either have to strip it or buy a longer cabinet

:shaun:

Semi autos are always longer

I used to equate it that a 28" auto was roughly the same length as a 30" O/U

30" semi = 32" O/U and so on

That's before you add in extended chokes.

If you really want a semi then you may either have to strip it or buy a longer cabinet

Thanks, that could be why I am seeing more 28" s/a's for sale.

The Invector Plus+ tubes appear to be flush.

Edited by B25Modelman

My 30" barrelled Browning Ultra (525 in a posh frock) is 47 1/4 inches long (end of the stock to tip of the barrels), my 28" barrelled carbon sporting Maxus is about an inch longer (with the large but spacer thingy in place).

Wood on the Maxus's seems a bit hit luck of the draw, when I bought mine I saw a ultimate partridges with really nice wood, and a couple of pretty plain ones. You may have to look about a bit.

I notice the carbon sporting does not have the cut-off system.

Cut off systems are normally found on game models where the need to swap cartridges quickly is more frequent.

They have the full range at Bywell and in my opinion the partridge version is the nicest.