Browning semi-autos

B25Modelman

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got both a composite maxus and a grade 3 premium. The grade 3 has very nice wood, although I agree some I have seen are plain. They shoot lovely, very soft and cycle well.

I had an a5 and found it cycled well, but didn't take to it. Shop around for your maxus, mine was 6 months old and fired 500 cartridges when I bought it for half the new price.

I am still working on the specification and with the assistance of a gunshop to get one with good wood from Browning UK. Unfortunately my progress was hindered when my good lady spotted me browsing my collection of Browning catalogues and decided she needed a new sewing machine. Needless to say it was easier to source as the wood embelishment was minimal.

So I have a question ref the safety. Many/most videos I have viewed make a strong point of putting the safety on before loading. I am used to my OU's loading with the safety off, as do most twin barrel shooters.

Is it really necessary to apply the safety other than when one leaves the shooting station. I think even then I would leave it off but with a flag in the breach. It is so easy to forget to put it off.

Well, Browning Belgium have declined...na refused... to send pictures to the dealer I was working with (most helpful guys) of UP's in stock stating they do not provide such on guns below Grade 5 wood. So it's a troll through Google and possible wait and see. My local dealer has a Standard which I am going to view for fitting which is a good start.

Edited by B25Modelman

I am still working on the specification and with the assistance of a gunshop to get one with good wood from Browning UK. Unfortunately my progress was hindered when my good lady spotted me browsing my collection of Browning catalogues and decided she needed a new sewing machine. Needless to say it was easier to source as the wood embelishment was minimal.

So I have a question ref the safety. Many/most videos I have viewed make a strong point of putting the safety on before loading. I am used to my OU's loading with the safety off, as do most twin barrel shooters.

Is it really necessary to apply the safety other than when one leaves the shooting station. I think even then I would leave it off but with a flag in the breach. It is so easy to forget to put it off.

I never used the safety on any of my auto's at a clay ground. the only time the bolt was shut was while I was shooting. as soon as I was done, I was out of the stand and gun back in the slip.

some people seem to think that the gun may go off when you release the bolt if you don't have the safety on. never once had it happen to me, and if it did happen, the gun was pointed down range anyway.

just as much chance of an O/U or SXS going off on closing.

pigeon shooting was slightly different however. sitting in a hide makes the use of the safety a smart idea.

I cannot get a straight answer out of any dealer what exactly is in the case...well all bar one and it looks rather different that what I have seen on youtube vids.

They say this,

• 5 x Invector Plus Flush fitting chokes.
  • 1 x Set of Browning stock shims.
  • 1 x Trigger lock.
  • 2 x Pad spacers.
  • 1 x Instruction manual.
  • 1 x Selection of multi-coloured fibre optic sight inserts.

One youtube vid shows an extended choke tube.

Edited by B25Modelman

Thought you fancied the Maxus Carbon?

I also never used the safety on an auto at a clay ground,

It was either in the cage with me/in its slip or being carried breach open barrel pointing skywards,

If I'm at Bywell this Saturday I will (if I remember) find out exactly what's in the case

Although chokes (flush)/shims/trigger lock/spacers and bead inserts sound familiar, never heard of the coming with an extended choke but I may be wrong

:shaun:

Thought you fancied the Maxus Carbon?

I also never used the safety on an auto at a clay ground,

It was either in the cage with me/in its slip or being carried breach open barrel pointing skywards,

If I'm at Bywell this Saturday I will (if I remember) find out exactly what's in the case

Although chokes (flush)/shims/trigger lock/spacers and bead inserts sound familiar, never heard of the coming with an extended choke but I may be wrong

I was watching a video of a guy (in UK) going through a camo model and it came with an extension tube.

My 2014 catalogue and the current Browning web page state, 6 Invector+ chokes, cyl-1/4-1/2-3/4-full-5cm 1/2. It's the last part I do not understand, -5cm 1/2. Could this be the tube which screws into the barrel and then accepts the Invector chokes.

I hope you guys are not getting ****** with all my questions and thoughts.

Update: Looking closer at the web pages, for the camo models it brackets the (5cm 1/2) which probably translates to 55mm. But it is still included with all other models except the standard.

It's far easier buying sewing machines.

Questions are how we learn things :)

My Bro in law bought the Winchester SX3,

He got 3 chokes, 1/4, 1/2 and full, most autos come with 3 chokes

Bywell currently have 2 Maxus in, grade 3 (plain wood) and carbon model

As I said if I go to Bywell I will ask in the gun room.

Reet.....

Called in at Bywell today

Browning Maxus Grade 3, 6 chokes (Cyl, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full, and it seems you do get the extended 1/2 choke as well for some reason) £1269

Browning Maxus Carbon, 5 chokes (Cyl, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full) £1075

Browning Maxus One Composite , 3 chokes (1/4, 1/2, 3/4) £875

Browning Maxus One, 3 chokes (1/4, 1/2, 3/4)

Forgot to ask about shims and beads :oops:

Bywell have the Grade 3, Carbon and Maxus One Composite in stock,

They also have the New Beretta A400 Multi target in, which looks a very nice gun

Similar to this

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_A400-XCEL-MULTITARGET_For-Sale_151006185337001

Thanks all, some gun that Beretta but the simplicity of the Maxus still attracts me.

Now I get the 5cm 1/2, it's an extended 1/2 choke tube.

I have my eyes on two guns. Both have fairly nicely patterned dark wood. One a new unused Premium the other a S/H, in as new con, UP. The latter's price is, at the moment, close to the Premium but the seller has provided more info on it and what comes with it in the case than anyone else. And it does come with 6 chokes, of which I am assuming one is the 5cm 1/2 choke tube that others fail to mention. Not that this concerns me but it is always nice to have everything original should one sell on. In both cases I would be buying at arms length so I have to ask plenty Q's from the sellers to satisfy myself all is well.

Browning (UK and EU) have been most unhelpful in providing information and pictures of stock guns to the dealers I have questioned. To be honest I have found this with a previous quest to buy a certain model. I suspect had I been buying a more expensive gun their noses would be up my...where the sun does not shine.

Edited by B25Modelman

Reet.....

Called in at Bywell today

Browning Maxus Grade 3, 6 chokes (Cyl, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full, and it seems you do get the extended 1/2 choke as well for some reason) £1269

Browning Maxus Carbon, 5 chokes (Cyl, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full) £1075

Browning Maxus One Composite , 3 chokes (1/4, 1/2, 3/4) £875

Browning Maxus One, 3 chokes (1/4, 1/2, 3/4)

Forgot to ask about shims and beads :oops:

Bywell have the Grade 3, Carbon and Maxus One Composite in stock,

They also have the New Beretta A400 Multi target in, which looks a very nice gun

Similar to this

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_A400-XCEL-MULTITARGET_For-Sale_151006185337001

Any idea if the composite one s new or used?