Steel shot booboo

ShootingEgg

Well my barrels are 3"chambers but no fluer and no mention of steel shot.. I dont dispute that they may be fine in it but at the same time if it does fudge the barrels its an expensive mistake to make.

Do your self a favour and Phone GMK as my Father's Benelli Super Nova and my Zabala never had Fleuy de Ley or Steel shot proof stamped on the Guns but as the UK accept Italian/Spain proof yes I know both the Guns I mentioned are 3.5 chambered But was superior proofed

I asked GMK the same question about my beretta 682 gold e and this is the response I got.

If your barrels have a fleur de lys proof mark then they are superior proofed and suitable for all steel shot.

If your barrels are NOT fleur de lys marked then it is NOT superior proofed and is only suitable for standard steel shot (not high performance or magnum loads).

Obviously, chamber size is paramount and you should never use a choke tighter than ½ when using steel shot.

In all circumstances it is your responsibility to check the pressure associated to each cartridge which will be printed on the box they are supplied in.

I hope this helps but please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.

I asked GMK the same question about my beretta 682 gold e and this is the response I got.

If your barrels have a fleur de lys proof mark then they are superior proofed and suitable for all steel shot.

If your barrels are NOT fleur de lys marked then it is NOT superior proofed and is only suitable for standard steel shot (not high performance or magnum loads).

Obviously, chamber size is paramount and you should never use a choke tighter than ½ when using steel shot.

In all circumstances it is your responsibility to check the pressure associated to each cartridge which will be printed on the box they are supplied in.

I hope this helps but please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.

But that is all rubbish.

Totally different to what Both myself and Father was told We also phoned Birmingham Proof house and they confirmed what GMK said which is what I posted.

As for the 1/2 choke statement that's not totally true either as I have mic'd several different chokes as I'm sure plenty on here have and guess what a Carlson extended steel shot choke is the same constriction as a Lead choke and you can safely use steel shot up to BB.

NOW Check a Kicks High Flyer choke marked Full choke it just under half choke so all the people claiming my Kicks 1/2 is the Nut's are in fact using a cylinder choke.

Yep totally confusing but unfortunately a fact.

Only tonight I mic'd a Teague 1/2 choke and it's slightly over 1/2 choke and way tighter than the Kicks Full !!!!!!

If it's safe and works for you Crack on as steel chokes steel shot size is just a mess.

I know the Pink's I shot this morning was with cartridges I loaded so I know for sure what they are as for choke ¡!!!! Was it Full just under Half or just over Pass don't know but they killed well

All standard magnum (CIP superior) guns are proofed at 17400 psi (1200bar crusher with 1370bar equivalent transducer method, 1200kg, 4 t/sq inch), and all Superior CIP HP Steel cartridges are max 15229 psi (1050bar).

HP Steel is safe for most modern magnum guns as long as the appropriate steel wad is used with half choke or less (whether Fleur or not) as nearly all guns are manufactured for the international market (including the USA) and dimensions of barrels are the same no matter which country they go to, even though they may be proofed to differing levels in the country they are imported into).

HP steel also do not reach anywhere near the CIP max of 15229psi and nearly all commercial HP cartridges, average around, 11000psi to 13000psi and max out at around 13500 to stay under 14000 psi to meet SAAMI (USA) standards.

A 3" 410 magnum with 18g to 21g lead load runs at 11000psi to 13500psi and magnum 410s are only proofed to the same superior proof of 1370bar (1200 bar) as 12 bores.

Edited by Stonepark

I love these threads. Do people think Beretta suddenly started using different steel for a 682 Gold E barrel because is got a Fleur de lys. Nope it was proofed to a higher pressure when it was proofed that's all. It's exactly the same barrels. America has no proofing and they shoot all sorts of steel loads.

I would shoot Gamebore Super Steel steel through a Beretta without any concern.

All standard magnum (CIP superior) guns are proofed at 17400 psi (1200bar crusher with 1370bar equivalent transducer method, 1200kg, 4 t/sq inch), and all Superior CIP HP Steel cartridges are max 15229 psi (1050bar).

HP Steel is safe for most modern magnum guns as long as the appropriate steel wad is used with half choke or less (whether Fleur or not) as nearly all guns are manufactured for the international market (including the USA) and dimensions of barrels are the same no matter which country they go to, even though they may be proofed to differing levels in the country they are imported into).

HP steel also do not reach anywhere near the CIP max of 15229psi and nearly all commercial HP cartridges, average around, 11000psi to 13000psi and max out at around 13500 to stay under 14000 psi to meet SAAMI (USA) standards.

A 3" 410 magnum with 18g to 21g lead load runs at 11000psi to 13500psi and magnum 410s are only proofed to the same superior proof of 1370bar (1200 bar) as 12 bores.

I agree with all of that, apart from the half choke bit.

I love these threads. Do people think Beretta suddenly started using different steel for a 682 Gold E barrel because is got a Fleur de lys. Nope it was proofed to a higher pressure when it was proofed that's all. It's exactly the same barrels. America has no proofing and they shoot all sorts of steel loads.

I would shoot Gamebore Super Steel steel through a Beretta without any concern.

No i dont think this.. I asked a simple question because its the first time ive bought HP steel and funily enough i like my gun!

Although i can say the gamebore certainly know how to kill.... When i hit the target that is...

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using gamebore super steel 5s in my winchester 23 which I bought in 1983, I've also been using eley 3" lightnings in 3s. My gun is 1/4 and 1/4 choke.

The gamebores certainly do the business as do the eleys. I've put about 150 gamebores through and about 40 lightnings through since last season and the barrels still look the same as they did three years ago.

I've also been using the gamebores in my gamegun which was built in 1958 and in my rem 1100 bought in 1963, all with no problem but both those guns are imp cyl.

None of the guns is proofed for steel, I was going to take the 23 up to have it done but I had a chat on the phone with the proof house and he said I'll deny saying this but we've had over a dozen 23s through for reproofing and all passed, one had been rechambered and HAD to be reproofed. As the guns were always chambered for 3" I assume he meant that one had been rechambered for 3.5" carts.

Just like the OP I got my knickers knotted about steel shot but feel relaxed about it now though I must admit to cringing the first couple of times I used the lightnings......if you get my drift.

If you don't feel happy about it take the gun up and have it proofed for steel, it's about £70 for both barrels and they'll do it by appointment if you phone up in plenty of time I think he said mondays and tuesdays were quiet.

Take all the wood off though to prevent scratches etc.

This old girl, 10 bore built in 1896 with damascus barrels passed 1200 bar proofpost-67947-0-72946000-1446191951_thumb.jpg

I was interested to see what factory cartridges were actually running at so with my last lot of home loads I sent in some Remington Sportsman High Speed Steel to the proof house too. Average pressure was 810 bar(11907 psi) and velocity was 459 m/sec (1506 fps). Interesting to see they failed the max CIP of 440m/sec. Pic of cert below

post-67947-0-46397700-1446210005_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thing is there is an official answer and an unofficial one

Never forget though a gun that is worn or faulty in any way could not pass it's original proof! Also I have seen a gun that couldn't possibly have passed a proof load brand new but carried one ( remmington 700 with a loose barrel in 300 win mag)

Condition trumps any proof markings in my book as the weakest link