Thanks to Motty

6.5x55SE

Having seen the hitting power after shooting a double at Canada Geese last season with Motty's hw13 home loads Motty said he'd get me some for this season True to his word Motty came good.

I felt this shot would work well in my 20ga as although I've shot hundreds of Geese with steel home loads there is no margin for error and with a 12ga if you was slightly back with your shot the stopping might/probably get you a Goose.

Speaking to my Good mate Geoff who is very experienced in reloading advised Don't go mad and load heavy loads as all you will be doing is wasting money and shot.So I loaded 42grms in the 12ga and 28grms in the 20ga.

Having shot a few Pink's and 2 cracking shots with the 12ga and hw13 and another good single Friday morning I decided to do Saturday morning with my 20ga due to the amount of Pinks getting about and so to the amount of other gun's after them.

So loading my gun with a 28grms of PWS and 28grms of hw13 and 1/4-1/2 chokes I waited listening to the odd Pink call.6.25am the first Geese left the roost and 2 Skeins only just wide but the 3rd was bang online about 50yrd High I could not believe after all the Geese I've shot a touch of nerves crept in having a word with myself I forgot the gauge and load I was useing mounted the gun blotted the Head out pulled the trigger done the same again to see 2 Pink's fold as though hit by a Thunder Bolt and to make my smile even bigger both my lab's the young one only 15 odd months old carry Pink's.

I had judged the flight perfect as most of the Geese passed over my head albit to high but just as I had estimated the Geese had all gone 9 came low but climbing again I had the satisfying result as 2 hw13 done there job.

Filling my rucksack I let the lab's stretch their legs whilst I sweated my way back to the truck.Reflecting on advents and this is the 41st consecutive season I've managed to shoot Pink's

That HW hits them like a train , clout them with that and they are coming down .

I think next season I may get some in 4s instead of the 2s as it will still stop pinks as far as I want to shoot them and it will give a few more pellets in a lighter load.

Very good write up , excellent shooting and well done on your 41st season goose shooting , the half century is in sight now, and I am going to make sure Im still around to see how you got on and to see if Motty have improved on his home loads :lol: ...

Thank you John. Yes the 50th season is getting ever closer and to fast for my liking.

I've only ever shot 2 of Motty's home loads and have to say they done a awesome job on the 2 Canada geese.

Mind you I did try my best to help Motty out on how to point his gun in the right direction !!!!!!

Thank you John. Yes the 50th season is getting ever closer and to fast for my liking.

I've only ever shot 2 of Motty's home loads and have to say they done a awesome job on the 2 Canada geese.

Mind you I did try my best to help Motty out on how to point his gun in the right direction !!!!!!

I have been trying for ages to be honest I think its a hopeless task . :whistling:

I think Motty is an excellent shot.

Boyd must have flustered him with his exacting standards

That's very kind. You're not so bad yourself!

I won't mention the Greylag flight I gave Motty when I picked the shot lol

Yeah, don't mention it. I'm still trying to work out how I missed those greys!