My line was intercepted.

JDog

Well I sat up for two hours until a few birds drifted into the field. They were coming along a line I had identified yesterday which I traced back three miles. Along that line was a bean stubble. My polite enquiry to shoot that field was rejected which I was not too concerned about as there were only a few birds on there.

I had been going an hour and I had shot twenty birds when I heard shots coming from the bean stubble. My guess is that pigeons were being decoyed off the line. The effect was to stop my flight virtually in it's tracks and in the next hour and a half I only shot another twelve or so.

However I was happy to pick 32 pigeons.

Edited by JDog

Had that a few times too. Set up on a barley field (freshly sown) and was going well, had about 80 rooks and carrion, plus some jackdaws down, when suddenly masses of shots from the rookery (about 300 metres away).

The three poachers had set up in there at about 08:30 and immediately, every bird they saw, all three would let rip with three shots each. Within 10 minutes not a bird to be seen.

And it didn't happen just once, but happens nearly every year especially on a Saturday.

Not only that, it's illegal to shoot within 100 metres of a rookery here :(

I doubt they have permission anyway, as I often find them set up in my permissions, and upon asking the farmer they don't have permission. Then they move, but maybe only 2-3 fields away, and set up again, sometime again on my permission, sometimes on another far.

Informing plod has no effect, plod aren't interested :(

And they ignore the farmer telling them to move too.

Edited by Redditch

Too many shooters chasing too little shooting. I live on the 'urban fringe' and there is hardly a day of the week goes by without someone out shooting nearby. I used to be the only shooter on some 2000 acres of land, until the original Farmer died, now family members run the farm and sometimes it is like the gunfight at the OK coral. I have stopped shooting there now, due to the overshooting and a dire lack of pigeons, prefer to shoot clays.

This is the very nature of our game. We are all pigeon shooters and when times are lean we sometimes find ourselves watching the same line of pigeons.

I think you knew at lunchtime JDog that a bumper bag was not looking likely.

32 is very respectable and well earnt given the situation.

If it is any consolation, I could only dream of shooting 32 woodies whilst milking the cows this afternoon!

Well shot JDog.

I could think of a lot worse things to do on a Saturday afternoon , so you were happy , I would have been happy, plus the majority of the members on here would have been happy with 32 pigeons picked ......You aint doing to bad as a fairly new fenlander Mr JDog :good:

+1 I've never bagged 32 of anything! Although i'm getting better.