Unpleasant experience

Wiggum

I managed to get half a day off work so decided to dust my fishing gear off and wet a line at a little pool which is always good for a bite or two.

We'd been fishing around an hour with the pool to ourselves when I noticed a guy dressed in camouflage and cradling an air rifle wander along the far bank, on cue two woodies land in an oak above his head, he raises his rifle takes aim and a second or two later I heard the whack as the pellet hit one of the woodies which came tumbling through the branches.

I initially remarked "good shot" to my friend who was next to me but then notice the woodie flapping around on the floor, the guy walks over to where the wounded woodie is and I thought he would just pick it up and dispatch it but he reloads and puts another pellet in it from point blank range, this still doesn't dispatch the bird which now falls off the bank and into the water. He reloads again and puts a third pellet into the bird in the water which is still flapping around and drowning, he then wanders down the bank lays his rifle on a bench unattended and disappears only to return a couple of minutes later with a garden rake to fish the pigeon out of the lake he then takes it around behind the tree to I assume dispatch it properly. I was appalled at what I'd just witnessed as it displayed a total lack of respect for his quarry and also poorly represented the shooting community especially as there's a caravan site attached to the lake and his action were on display for all to see. I know people will say it's only a woodie and you always get pricked birds when say decoying but I for one always dispatch pricked birds as quickly as possible to avoid any unnecessary suffering.

Thanks. I know Andy and am surprised at watching that. Apologies for taking this off topic op

I don't know him but always had respect for him as a countryman, sadly that respect has been lost by a few seconds of video which should never have been filmed and certainly never shown.