Multi choking a fixed choke

Daveo26

Chaps iv got a browning 525 fixed choke 1/4 and 3/4.

Iv been toying with the idea of having it teagued as I would prefer the tighter barrel to be 1/2 choke.

I don't want to open the choke because I like knowing the barrels are chrome lined.

I have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

Can I use steel through a 1/2 Teague choke?

Has anyone experienced a change in point of impact after having a gun teagued?

Iv read a few bad things online...

Is there anyone one else who could do the work?

Would I be better off selling and buying a multi choke 525?

I had the stock lengthened on mine and it fits nice and also I like the wood on mine. So I'm reluctant to change it really.

Any ideas

It would be much cheaper to sell it and buy a multichoke especially if it's 28 inch they have very little resale value other than to game shooters most clay shooters want 30 inch barrels .the cost of multi choking will be around £500 + .you would never get what it cost if you ever sold it . You might be able to part ex it if it's in good condition for under £300

I have put hp steel, tungsten matrix and heavyshot in heavy loads through a teague 1/2 choke with no issues.

You could try pxing your gun with the condition of keeping the wood from yours, it may help the resale of yours if it is a standard stock going back on it.

You might not get as good a deal but you will have a stock that fits.

It's an odd one but I bought the gun S/h but unfired.

It's as tight as a drum still running in really because I don't use it that often.

I recon it would cost me best part of £500 in px for a multi shot as nice as mine.

Hmmmmmm.

Cheers for the replies chaps

Before spending money and changing things, I would pattern the gun to see what it is choked with your normal cartridges and range?

You may be surprised what the actual choke pattern is as often it is not what it says on the barrel.

Edited by Stonepark

It's an odd one but I bought the gun S/h but unfired.

It's as tight as a drum still running in really because I don't use it that often.

I recon it would cost me best part of £500 in px for a multi shot as nice as mine.

Hmmmmmm.

Cheers for the replies chaps

One good way to change the choke performance is to change the cartridge. It would probably not be too difficult to find one that shoots 1/2 through the 3/4 barrel. Not much help though if you're going to be using steel and want to comply with the recommendations. Sounds as though you really like what you already have. So keep it and spend what you would have lost on PX or whatever on something that will do for steel. Who knows, with your luck you may get another new second hand one.

Before spending money and changing things, I would pattern the gun to see what it is choked with your normal cartridges and range?

You may be surprised what the actual choke pattern is as often it is not what it says on the barrel.

I will do that thanks

One good way to change the choke performance is to change the cartridge. It would probably not be too difficult to find one that shoots 1/2 through the 3/4 barrel. Not much help though if you're going to be using steel and want to comply with the recommendations. Sounds as though you really like what you already have. So keep it and spend what you would have lost on PX or whatever on something that will do for steel. Who knows, with your luck you may get another new second hand one.

No I don't shoot steel, had a close call on Saturday someone gave me some carts to try through my battered old baikal.

All the writing had scrubbed off luckily I asked they were H/P steel.

I'll try the different cartridge thing and what gives.

As for my luck, lightening never strikes twice !

I've got a lovely miroku which was teagued 10 years ago. They're pretty thin so I would be wary of putting steel through it. For heavy stuff I have an old mossberg 500 which I couldn't care less about! I'd save my 500 quid and get a cheap hp steel hatsan and save the 525.

All that hassle to go from 3/4 to 1/2??-is it really worth it? As for little resale value cos its a 28"- that really pains me, barrel length fashions come and go and if you shoot well with yours then why the heck change anything?- would be an interesting experiment to blindfold a number of shooters and see if they can feel the difference between 28" & 30" tubes-I'm betting none, besides, when the gun is mounted and you are watching the birdy your barrel length is totally lost.

Edited by bruno22rf

I've got a lovely miroku which was teagued 10 years ago. They're pretty thin so I would be wary of putting steel through it. For heavy stuff I have an old mossberg 500 which I couldn't care less about! I'd save my 500 quid and get a cheap hp steel hatsan and save the 525.

Iv got a 500 too,

It wasn't especially so I could shoot steel, I heard you can't use steel through Teague chokes after a modification like this.

I was interested in having it teagued to make the gun more versatile .

That's all.

Iv got a fair array of guns but I like this browning enough not to replace it with a multi choke.

Weighing it up I'll leave it as it is.

Thanks for the input everyone

All that hassle to go from 3/4 to 1/2??-is it really worth it? As for little resale value cos its a 28"- that really pains me, barrel length fashions come and go and if you shoot well with yours then why the heck change anything?- would be an interesting experiment to blindfold a number of shooters and see if they can feel the difference between 28" & 30" tubes-I'm betting none, besides, when the gun is mounted and you are watching the birdy your barrel length is totally lost.

+1...choke is an over rated thing and at least with fixed you dont have to think about it!