Rape, the disappearing crop ?

Cranfield

The two farmers over whose farm I shoot have said in Essex have said they are putting in less rape due to the changes in the coating to the seed. Evidently the coating prevents against a particular beetle but this has/is about to be banned thus meaning the crop is more susceptible to the beetle. With that and other factors, it seems a bit of a loss maker in their eyes.

Yes, the flea beetle - devastated several fields near me last year. The coating is "said" to hurt bees. I though the EU had had second thoughts on this one though as some farmers sprayed it with the stuff instead.

Unusually no rape on my permissions either, but it is being replaced with beans, plus the usual barley and wheat.

The beans have an EU grant payment attached I believe, as they fix nitrogen and improve soil quality so the next crop in won't need as much fertiliser.

There was one bean field last year but it never seemed to be hit by pigeons much.

Edited by FalconFN

I was told today that the offered price for rape next year would return (£2 Two pounds) profit per ton, Maybe. The farm in question is planting 50 odd hectares due to rotation but already some had had to be resown because the slugs were damaging the plants. So any profit was gone already. every one was planting pulses which had already knocked the back out of that one also.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my farmers, who didn't let me shoot his rape last year because of the pheasants, (it was decimated) said it yielded so badly he's not planted any this year.

Helloooooooo???

i had the same, 2 fields in the middle of a pheasant drive worse rape i have ever seen pigeons were all over it november till feb, we shot over 200 off it in 3 weeks in feb but it was too late to save it, they got less than a ton a hectare.

Due to poor weather the last two years my farmer has not sown any crops, his friend nearby has only just taken in the summer Barley, its been so cold and wet up here that the crops have not matured in the west of Scotland, plenty of birds o the beech and Oaks, wheat to buy for cattle feed is cheap this year I'm told.

Chiefy

i had the same, 2 fields in the middle of a pheasant drive worse rape i have ever seen pigeons were all over it november till feb, we shot over 200 off it in 3 weeks in feb but it was too late to save it, they got less than a ton a hectare.

At least you had the 200 off it. In feb they cut most of the game cover up but a little strip was left. Pigeons all over what remained of the rape, plus the smashed maize. 1000's of them. I sat up a tiny hide in the remaining strip and sat there for 4 hours without seeing ONE pigeon within 400 yards.

My only blank in about the last 5 years!!

• 4 weeks later...