FMJ at low velocity

wildrover77

When FMJ is fired at low velocity how does it perform? Does it loose stability and tumble when it strikes?

I am planning to use .338 FMJ fired at 1200 FPS for foxing. I am currently working an the advice that it will tumble on impact, causing a lot of damage, perhaps bouncing around inside, rather than go straight through.

Any knowledge?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When FMJ is fired at low velocity how does it perform? Does it loose stability and tumble when it strikes?

I am planning to use .338 FMJ fired at 1200 FPS for foxing. I am currently working an the advice that it will tumble on impact, causing a lot of damage, perhaps bouncing around inside, rather than go straight through.

Any knowledge?

would prob group like poo if other low velocity centre fire projects i've read about are anything to go by.

which county you in bud? take it were talking 338 lapua.

can't see my county granting that to shoot foxes over land on a open ticket !

The fmj will actually be tougher bud at that velocity than if it were going three times that velocity. It will zip through fox and the results will be about the same as I have found with fmj, hit and miss!

Through the ribs and they are dead but they will run first!

They work better loaded backwards!

Edited by Underdog

Depends on the transitional and terminal velocity. Any bullet (not just FMJ) loses stability in flight when passing into and through the transition between super and sub sonic. If terminal velocity is subsonic, your biggest concern will be hitting what you aimed at beyond a certain range as accuracy will not be great. Close up, not a problem. I would question the ethics of using FMJ on live quarry also, as it is primarily designed for penetration (high sectional density) and target use, not for live quarry. You might be better as has been mentioned using soft lead pointed ammo. It wont expand as much as with faster loads but should still be more humane and expend more energy. Better to load subsonic from the get-go rather than at 1200fps. Load for 1050 to 1100fps and you'll get better accuracy (supersonic is anything 1125fps and above). Just my tuppenceworth.

Edited by Savhmr

Depends on the transitional and terminal velocity. Any bullet (not just FMJ) loses stability in flight when passing into and through the transition between super and sub sonic. If terminal velocity is subsonic, your biggest concern will be hitting what you aimed at beyond a certain range as accuracy will not be great. Close up, not a problem. I would question the ethics of using FMJ on live quarry also, as it is primarily designed for penetration (high sectional density) and target use, not for live quarry. You might be better as has been mentioned using soft lead pointed ammo. It wont expand as much as with faster loads but should still be more humane and expend more energy. Better to load subsonic from the get-go rather than at 1200fps. Load for 1050 to 1100fps and you'll get better accuracy (supersonic is anything 1125fps and above). Just my tuppenceworth.

My findings are that too much is made of the transitionalmoment betwixt superand sub sonic.

I also did very well with fmj in 357 magnum.

Conversely I have had supposed expanding bullets fail repeatable to expand!

The notion of a bullet tumbling in a victim is not to be overlooked or over played! A bullet really does not have time to tumble in a small animal but just the slightest of yaw will have dramatic effect on the organs. This is seen often in the difference of one airgun pellet over another for taking of animals, with next to no expansion available a yawing pellet usually does better.

Solid bullets are also used on large dangerous game.

U 😉

I can only speak as I've found myself UD. I have only tried velocity experiments with WMR and 22LR at various distances and came to the conclusion that velocity was the limiting factor for accuracy based on group sizes I encountered. That was for bullets of comparatively low BC, and in fairness I haven't tried it with bullets of higher BC but would expect the same mechanisms to be at play. The differences in accuracy were significant though from what I found which is why I don't use supersonic LR (when silent subs at closer ranges are far preferable) and why I limit wmr to supersonic range use.

I don't however think it's right under any circumstances to use FMJ on live quarry. Solid bullets are used for some large game only because lots of penetration is required and sufficient energy expended in those particular cases. The same is not true of small game, where the bullet may or may not yaw and tumble. I've seen small game shot through and run on when shot with non expanding ammo (not by me I hasten to add) and that's not a sight I want to see.

Edited by Savhmr

I can only speak as I've found myself UD. I have only tried velocity experiments with WMR and 22LR at various distances and came to the conclusion that velocity was the limiting factor for accuracy based on group sizes I encountered. That was for bullets of comparatively low BC, and in fairness I haven't tried it with bullets of higher BC but would expect the same mechanisms to be at play. The differences in accuracy were significant though from what I found which is why I don't use supersonic LR (when silent subs at closer ranges are far preferable) and why I limit wmr to supersonic range use.

I don't however think it's right under any circumstances to use FMJ on live quarry. Solid bullets are used for some large game only because lots of penetration is required and sufficient energy expended in those particular cases. The same is not true of small game, where the bullet may or may not yaw and tumble. I've seen small game shot through and run on when shot with non expanding ammo (not by me I hasten to add) and that's not a sight I want to see.

Fair enough bud,thanks ☺

Its a 338 bullet its bigger in diameter than an expanded .22 most likely and carries a lot of terminal energy. One thing it wont fail to do even with FMJ is kill a 14 lb fox! I think its kind of dumb personally and yes something of a ricochet risk that's going to be a blighter to get shooting right BUT IT WILL KILL WHAT IT CONNECTS WITH tumble or not its a big hole and a lot of cavitation will occur even on a straight pass through.

At 1000 fps you wont get a 338 bullet that is frangible enough to expand anyhow