Calling police to let them know you are shooting

Andra

Was out for pigeons and corvids with another member of PW yesterday. We shot from approx 9.30 till 5 with a fair break in the morning where we stopped shooting as there were three large trees being cut down about 20 yards from our hide. The shooting was slow after the trees came down so shots were well spaced apart.

We noticed the police coming along the road as we came out of the field in the 4x4 but we did not speak to them. The farmer rang to advise the police had come round as someone from the houses about around 600 to 700 yards away had called to complain that we had been "shooting all day" the farmer explained everything was above board and we had permission etc. The police had said something about new legislation and the requirement to call them to let them know prior to shooting, is this correct? Will be calling BASC tomorrow but wondered if anyone on here knows about this being a legal requirement??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello mate ,

that is 100% total and utter ****** , you do NOT have to notify the police , as long as your shooting with lawful authority and in a safe manner , Crack on mate .

atb stevo

Thanks for the quick reply guys we did not think what the police had said to the farmer was quite right.

Everything was above board and we were shooting safe, the farmer was chatting away to us while them trees were getting cut so he had seen where we had the hide located and knew exactly direction we were shooting etc. I'll prob call the police also once I speak to BASC.

Have never had any complaints before or any other hassle when out shooting so a first for us.

The fact that the police believe there is legislation in place that doesn't exist is exactly the reason I wouldn't call them in the first place, it brings their competence to do the job they are paid for into doubt and makes me wonder what other fantasy legislation they might try to enforce if they turned up, have you ever tried to tell a policeman they are wrong? It doesn't go down very well

i read in a mag this year of a chap shooting near a foot path which i am told is perfectly legal somebody called the police who responded and when they found everything was above board told the chap that if he shot there again it would help if he called and let them know to save them coming out again

it would help if he called and let them know to save them coming out again

They still have to respond. They get fed up with it in the end. We just carry on shooting even when they turn up. I f they want to get muddy and wet wandering across the field then they are more than welcome.

I always call them first, you don't have to legally but it's just common sense. I've had a phone call or two back from the police and it's saved time of them coming out or me having to walk all the way back to the car park to explain what's going on.

It takes two mins, tell them my name and where I'm shooting and what I'm shooting. They give you a reference number then when you've finished you call them quoting it and that's it. Saves any hassle and avoids any unnecessary scenarios happening. Some say ' I don't have to so I'm not going to' then wonder why the police turn up. If they get a call they have to investigate it.

Common sense always prevails Hope this helps. ATB 425

Edited by Browning 425 clay hunter

I always call them first, you don't have to legally but it's just common sense. I've had a phone call or two back from the police and it's saved time of them coming out or me having to walk all the way back to the car park to explain what's going on.

It takes two mins, tell them my name and where I'm shooting and what I'm shooting. They give you a reference number then when you've finished you call them quoting it and that's it. Saves any hassle and avoids any unnecessary scenarios happening. Some say ' I don't have to so I'm not going to' then wonder why the police turn up. If they get a call they have to investigate it.

Common sense always prevails Hope this helps. ATB 425

I agree, I call and have never had a problem. Get the log number.

Very occasionally I am asked to call back and close the log, but normally it is not required.

Lancashire and Merseyside are brilliant, North Wales is a bit more cumbersome. Helps if you have a postcode for the nearest road.

Likewise I have had a couple of calls from them whilst I was out and they did I not have to come out. Whoever says they come out regardless is simply wrong. It is dangerous to generalise.

Please keep things balanced, factual and accurate.

There will always be some shooters who deem it their right to shoot as and where they wish. If I am shooting where I THINK there may be a problem, I notify the local Police, as above, and get the log number. I then call to get them to close that log, when I am leaving. I have had a call on my mobile to say that someone has phoned in, if the Police have the facts, they can then inform that caller, that they will not be attending as no offences are being committed. Had I not notified them, there is a good chance that they will attend, this simply causes more trouble than it's worth, all for the sake of a phone call. I often shoot in North Wales, in the back of beyond. I have never felt a need to notify the local Police there. I look upon it as a common courtesy to inform the Police and try to avoid any confrontations. Anything that interupts my shooting is an inconvenience. Perhaps the Laws are different in Scotland ?

Edited by Westley

I had exactly the same thing happen, cops stopped me coming off the farm, asked for papers for gun, van and permission, took them an hour to say all was ok, and let me go, as I was about to leave one handed me a card with a phone number on it and her name, no not a pick up, she ( woman pc) wanted me to phone in every time I go out to shoot, my reply, on yer bike and thats an end to it, never heard from them again. there is no requirement in law to tell them where we are shooting and as many on here will confirm, every time a member of the public phones in a complaint, they will turn out to check because guns are involved, the local bobbies are ok but watch out for the armed response teams, they can be a bit heavy handed and you dont want to give them grief when they shove their automatic rifles up your nose.just make sure you are always legal and you have nothing to worry about, and always keep the BASC phone number handy for advice if needed. :yahoo::yahoo:

I can't understand why some members on her think that calling the Police is the sensible thing to do and that it saves the Police the time and bother of responding. As far as I am concern this calling in and then off is the thin end of the - if it becomes common place then it follows on that it will become mandatory.

You are undertaking a perfectly legal activity - as long as you have permission of course. Do you phone in when driving your car or dog walking.

On the other hand if your land owner insists then best to call in and keep your perm.

If a member of the public phones in and reports armed men in a field the Police will almost certainly attend anyway.

You are undertaking a perfectly legal activity - as long as you have permission of course. Do you phone in when driving your car or dog walking.

+1

We have recently had a similar incident with a member from our club and following discussion with BASC looking to invite the police in for a discussion about the issues.

They are asking members to call 101 but having previously had an issue with people parking over a driveway i know getting through to 101 is at times impossible. When i go out shooting i often wont decide on a farm until i am out and seeing where the birds are. Farms are often large, or spread across different villages. Even if i know the farm i don't know where on the farm i will be till i get there. I will often move between farms during the day and with poor phone signal the idea of calling in is simply impracticable.

Things can soon switch from "courtesy" to compulsory = police demands for massive fees increases to cover the extra work, manning the switchboard 24/7, etc.

NEVER called them....never had them out checking

We jump through enough hoops for the sport without adding to the time/monetary costs for something which has NO legal requirement

I sometimes do if it's really late night near a built up area with HMR or similar. Just used to come as standard practise from my days working for 'a large pest control company' - as our jobs dictated we NEEDED to phone - but that was work and that was that.

I don't bother for daytime though.

i ring if i am lamping at night but never day time .i rang the other night they were fine gave me a number and asked me to ring when i had finished so they can cancel the job number .its got to be better then the police cocking up your night out with the rifle .