Foxing last night

Redditch

So, have a couple of foxes that are VERY VERY warey and wise, and lamp shy (including IR) due to poachers

So, decided I had to outfox the foxes, and instead of the bale hide at the top of the field, made a new bale hide on top of the silage pit at the bottom of the field

Here's a photo of the new hide, and the killing zone

post-39481-0-71091700-1444039512_thumb.jpeg

So, set up tonight in the new bale hide at 23:15

First eyes appeared at 00:25 and I switched the NV off and gave her five minutes to work her way down.

At 00:30 switched back on and she was amongst the bait. Dropped her on the spot, a nice young vixen.

Ten minutes later another set of eyes appeared, but this was one of the older Wiley ones, and he kept appearing at the hedge every 5-10 minutes, but wouldn't come down, so made sure I didn't get the IR fully on him, but just the edge of it enough to light his eyes.

After 50 minutes he was finally down amongst the bait.

Took aim, and bowled him over.

Put the lamp on my head, got down from the hide, searched, but he was gone !!!

Only the blood and bits from where I hit him were evidence he had been there

post-39481-0-63825300-1444039989_thumb.jpeg

post-39481-0-12573100-1444040006_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Redditch

So, out with the dog, and in 3-4 minutes found the fox. It had got 38-39 metres into the hedge and collapsed between two tree stumps. How it got there I do NOT know, must have been pure adrenalin, as its lungs were gone, as was most of the right side of its chest,many it's front leg was hanging by skin alone as the bone on that had been shattered too. :( by all rights it should have been dead on the spot, and not moved from there.

Anyone wants to see the photo and explain to me HOW it got up and ran, I will PM them it, as I don't believe in posting "gory" photos

It turned out to be another vixen, and not the dog fox I originally thought it was

Edited by Redditch

So, last night a fox came at 22:00 to 22:40 on the trail cam, which meant he was long gone by the time I got there last night to set up (but got two vixens :) )

So, armed with that knowledge, tonight I set up in my bale hide (nice and dry and warm, despite lashing with rain) at 21:15 and set about waiting.

I had laid a bait trail from the cam down to my "kill zone" and reckoned it would take him 10-15 minutes to work his way down.

At 22:10 he appeared on my NV sweep, and I had the IR turned right down, so only the glow of the eyes showed up. Even then, soon as the IR touched him, he got "agitated" and as I slipped the safety off, I started increasing the IR.

That was enough for him and he started into a fast trot to the safety of the big red silage trailer.

I gave a quick squeak, and it stopped him just long enough to get a bead on him. As I squeezed off he took off again, and disappeared behind the trailer, but I was sure I had nailed him.

Put the headlamp on, got down out of the hide, and went through the lashing rain onto the field, and there he was, behind the trailer, dead as a door nail.

A big old dog fox, good 11-12kg in weight.

I've been after this one for 6-7 months now, so it was a relief to finally get him, but in a way I felt sorry, as he was a worthy and respect earning adversary, and very very Wiley.

but! His luck ran out tonight.

I stayed until 00:30, but nothing more came, and as my back was aching, I packed up and came home.

Will check the camera tomorrow and see what else is about

post-39481-0-53656200-1444091628_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Redditch

Catching up on sleep tonight mate?

Just fitted and zeroed my new X-Sight 5-18x

Waiting on my T50IR and T67IR both in 940nm Blacklight.

In the meantime while I wait, wondering whether to fit my T20IR 850nm or the laser IR 850nm that came with it.

That way I can still go Foxing in the meantime.

Might get some ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz tonight, IF nothing on the trail cams LOL

Just fitted and zeroed my new X-Sight 5-18x

Waiting on my T50IR and T67IR both in 940nm Blacklight.

In the meantime while I wait, wondering whether to fit my T20IR 850nm or the laser IR 850nm that came with it.

That way I can still go Foxing in the meantime.

Might get some ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz tonight, IF nothing on the trail cams LOL

To many decisions to make there mate. Happy hunting or happy sleeping whatever you decide.