Woodcock watch- when do yours arrive ?

I think it's around the first full moon in November. My first day too, but not allowed to shoot woodcock, despite one wood being stuffed! Edit, looked it up, there is a full moon at the end of Oct, and end of Nov. You might be lucky with the Oct, but it's not a precise science!

Edited by kennett

I have put a few duck down and there is always pheasants down there. Only just taken on the shoot it's woodcock heaven along the valley bottom. When I viewed the ground back in January there were a fair few there. Hope there is some cold weather on its way the cover needs a good hit to bring it down. I know there are a few 'native' woodcock but I would prefer to leave them alone until the others arrive

You need cold weather in the scandanevian countries & russia etc to move them on. End of October moon you may get some, but the bulk of birds will probably be the end of November.

As Jdog said, sometimes they are there and sometimes they aren't. We are quite lucky where we live (North East corner of Ireland) that we get the birds as they come in as our shoot is on the shore. However, last year was terrible and I think the birds flew on inland when they arrived.

Can't guarantee wild quarry and that is part of the beauty of woodcock. Looking forward to the first influx of them again.

I wouldn't rely on woodcock being present if I were you. Sometimes they are in, sometimes they are not.

There are so many variables such as the weather and wind direction to expect woodcock to be where you want them on a certain day.

Spot on!!! Just have to keep an eye out, I would be tempted to stand in the fields around the woods you shoot from middle of October to see what is flighting out in the evenings.