Serious cat question

Twistedsanity

Without wanting to go down the usual cat hatred route I have a serious question, I have chickens that have the run of my garden which has a 6ft fence all round it and I have just been alerted by one of the chooks making a noise that there was a cat in the garden attempting to "hunt" one of them that is injured and it ran away when I went outside, I thought this forum would be the best place to ask what if anything can be legally done about it? Im not asking for suggestions or ideas on cruelty just where the law stands as I am aware of the legal rights of a farmer if an animal is worrying their flock, please try and give a sensible answer rather than get the thread locked before it reaches more than three posts or even use the pm facility as I don't want to go outside with my 2 year old one afternoon and see one of her pets strewn all over the lawn

I think that you will find that cats have the right to roam where they like . I don't know how you would get on with sueing the owner for any damages that they may cause . There are plenty of non lethal ways of keeping cats out of your garden . The best one is to throw a bucket of water over it . Trust me it won't come back .

Harnser

We have 8 Persian cats (had more in the past) with birds we also had at the same time, I placed some carpet gripper, the wooden batten type with pins in, along the top of the chicken wire it will deter them with out any permanent damage to the cat. I must admit it must be a beefy ol'e cat to take on a chicken if the chicken is any size, hope latter helps.

Ive been told put a small nail either end of the panel top then string between them tight... Never tried but they dont like it suposidly... Or cut drain pipe in half to make c Shape and put it ontop fence, no grip for claws so they slip off??

Yep. Two or three strands is better. Fishing line is cheap and keeps its tension.

The cat will soon learn not to mess with the chickens, yes it may target the little silky but I am sure the other's will shoo it off.

Agreed with this. You'd be surprised just how aggressive chickens can be. Our cats, when they go through the chicken run on the way to the fields (over fence from garden, through the run, then over the fence into the fields) makes sure they don't hang about.

Just to say, these aren't little cute cats. I've even seen one have a stand-off with a fox !

Crow decoys overlooking the pen in s prominent position especially if you have crows about.

Crows make a cats life hell and cats soon learn to avoid them at all cost

Never used it over a pen but it was the only thing that worked over my garden and kids play Park when I lived in the burbs a while

I have had generations of evil tiger like farm cats, that catch rabbits, rats etc and have NEVER bothered or killed any of our poultry.

Re the law, afaik it's about dogs worrying stock, I'll eat my hat if you get any problems with cats and chickens.

get a couple of geese and put them with the chooks..........they will see off any cat and protect the chooks......and they will alert you to bugulars as well.............romans used to have them as gaurds..

I bought some geese once and had to get rid as one of them used to grab any passing chicken and hold it under the water in the pond. It got two before I realised it was doing it. Maybe it was a delinquent goose though.

Our warren hens gang up on any strange cats in the garden and soon see them off. They have a truce with our cats. A case of we ignore you and you ignore us.