Owl decoys for crows

Bobba

Read what seems to be the theory about owl decoys to attract mobbing crows but does any PW ,

Member actually use them with any succes?

If so, could you share info please on type of owl decoy, method of deployment etc.

Many thanks

Not had much success with plastic owl decoys but have done ok with a small teddy bear. It works better if you have a dead crow and scatter a few feathers as if the bear was eating it. The bear was about the size of a large ferret. :good:

The plastic little owl brings out the worst in small birds they seem to mob it every time I have used it.

Edited by hambone

I do intend to fix my European Owl decoy to a post, and tie a dead Crow/Jackdaw to it's feet, and have this connected to a piece of twine. The idea is to pull at the dead bird to give the impression that it's been caught by the Owl and is struggling. A few feathers on the floor will add to the scene. I read somewhere that this actually worked.

Used a large Owl for many years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would say that after 20 years it makes no real difference, being where crows gather and having a few decoys and using a good call such as a Lohman will do the trick way better, the crow call can be essential as you can hear replies off in the distance and they will come to investigate, if you learn when to lay off calling.

Never use a call sequence of three caws as this is their alarm signal, use groups of 4 caws interspersed with some two caw calls in a different tones, get out and listen to birds, then join in and learn from there.

Chiefy

Never use a call sequence of three caws as this is their alarm signal, use groups of 4 caws interspersed with some two caw calls in a different tones, get out and listen to birds, then join in and learn from there.

Chiefy

Many thanks for this tip. Thinking about it, "three" just seemed a natural rythm to me. Will listen and learn.

I know dead magpies keep others away! I put one in the garden the other day in a cradle to see what would happen! Magpies landed on the roof and chatter then they do one! Nothing, not even a woodie cane in the garden :D

Think I will leave it there :D

Stick it on a flapper! Best shooting I ever had was with a mate, his flapper and a maggie. Was flipping freezing but we had 13 of them.