Keeping the farmers happy in more ways

Redditch

So, set up on the top of the field tonight in the old bale hide, watching down the field around the chicken coup.

Fox (vixen) was due between 21:20 and 22:20, but the only fox I saw was the large dog fox crossing the field at a rate of knots, straight over the bait without even looking :(

I think there must be a vixen in heat, or a rival dog fox somewhere that he was after.

So, at 22:45 packed up there, put the chair back in the 4x4, and took up position in the bale hide at the bottom of the field, on top of the silage pit.

Nothing moved, but about 00:45 the calves started making an almighty ruckus, so I think there was a fox wandering around their pen.

And then at 01:15 I heard the sound of multiple hooves and cattle. Stood up and switched my headlamp on, and calves everywhere in the yard :(

So quickly got the phone out and rang the farmer to get out of bed (not the most pleasant thing to do, as he works very long hours, and needs his sleep).

So he got out of bed, we found 9 of the 12 stood in front of another pen, and then the other 3 were up on a hillock, and not easy to get back. So the 9 into the pen, and then we tried getting the other 3. 2 were easy, but the 3rd kept going the opposite direction, and ended up taking 20 minutes to get with the other two, and back into the pen with the others.

Somehow they had managed to force a door open, so closed t,he door, helped the farmer find some baling twine to tie it shut, and then told the farmer to go back to bed, and I would continue Foxing.

Sat till 02:30, but with all the noise it scared the foxes off, and my back was hurting, so called it a night and headed home.

Now having a well deserved vodka and orange, and just walked the dogs too.

That's the second time today, as this morning his calves also got out from a field, and ended up in my farmhouse yard, so rang him then and helped him get them in too :)

All good, he works hard and long hours, so glad to help where I can

It's now 04:15, and I think it's bed time, so wil go and get some ZZZZZzzzzzz's LOL