Age to start a child

Proudly

At what age have members introduced their children to clay shooting & generally learning gun safety? How did you go about it? I have a 6yr old sensible daughter I'd like to introduce to shooting but the local gun club has said 12yrs so they can use a 20g as shooting a .410 is counter productive. I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on this, thanks

I started at 6 with airgun and 6 with clays but 8 for live game with 410.

A 410 with open chokes and 14g or more of 9's will break clays to 30 to 35 yards.

Ear protection and supervision is key.

Sounds like someones calibre prejudice is getting in the way..........

Edited by Stonepark

There should be no set age. It is purely down to the individuals' desire to shoot coupled with the ability so safely hold and mount whatever gun is available. Be careful though, dads of younger offspring to not good coaches make. A busy clay range with no dedicated coaching stance is also not an ideal environment. Dads will have a wish for their offspring to do well and will crack on and a keen youngster will not know when to stop. Both of these elements coupled with the need to rush because of a queue forming spell disaster. A good coach working in a relaxed environment will recognise from the students' body language when to pause for a break or if necessary stop the lesson at that point.before the damage is done.

Started 100s youngsters over the years my view is when they are big enough to hold a gun and control it they are old enough. One more essential youngsters need to realize that this is not a game with a gun like football or rugby. This is real some learn or know that at a very young age some in there 20s plus have never learnt it and never will

I was thinking along the lines of taking my daughter out on shoot days & letting her ride the quad to carry bits & bobs. See how she goes then let her carry an empty gun to teach her safety. When I think she's ready let her try clays on the farm. We have a clay trap that one of the lads spent ages making an alloy frame with seat to attach it to. He didn't try the trap before making the frame....the trap is absolute garbage lol, he was furious spending all that time making the frame. Its ideal for kids though as it doesn't throw them too fast or far lol

I was thinking along the lines of taking my daughter out on shoot days & letting her ride the quad to carry bits & bobs. See how she goes then let her carry an empty gun to teach her safety. When I think she's ready let her try clays on the farm. We have a clay trap that one of the lads spent ages making an alloy frame with seat to attach it to. He didn't try the trap before making the frame....the trap is absolute garbage lol, he was furious spending all that time making the frame. Its ideal for kids though as it doesn't throw them too fast or far lol

Good form to let her carry a gun and mix with other shooters IMHO. Then walking and crossing obstacles and fences with an empty gun. Getting in an out of motor cars is as a good one as is "slipping a gun".

An airgun with adult supervision is also a good way to start leading on to target shooting on her own when she fully understands the safety issues.

So I suppose the answer to the OP's Q is "when they are ready".

Edited by Whitebridges

I think that shooting is like eating: if a child is taken to nice places, shown a good example and expected to behave with expectations enforced by parenting, they will grow up knowledgeable and with manners. Therefore it is my duty as a parent to go shooting and eat out a lot.

As for guns, I've seen 20G semi automatics in the hands of seven and eight year olds at the gun club.

Took my boy when he turned six. Uses the air pistol, air rifles and a little .410. He generally shoots static clays with the .410 but will introduce him to the moving targets once he beefs up a bit and I am confident in his ability.

As others have said, safety is the main thing. I always make him clean the guns down afterwards, under supervision of course. That way he learns to respect them.

My Grandson Jacob is 5 1/2.
He's had a 410 since he was one day old, but it's still too big for him.
I bought a nice shortened 410 from another PW member for Jacobs 5th. Birthday. Despite its significently shortened stock Jacob still doesn't fit the gun, so he is waiting patiently to take his first shot.

He's been to the clay shoot a few times and thoroughly enjoys himself helping Grandad.

webber

post-258-0-99758200-1444717560_thumb.jpg

Edited by webber

My Grandson Jacob is 5 1/2.He's had a 410 since he was one day old, but it's still too big for him.I bought a nice shortened 410 from anoer PW member for Jacobs 5th. Birthday. Despite its significently shortened stock Jacob still doesn't fit the gun, so he is waiting patiently to take his first shot.He's been to the clay shoot a few times and thoroughly enjoys himself helping Grandad.webber

Nice one mate!!

All the above is very good advice, with children growing so rapidly nowadays it is difficult to judge when is the right time.

Possibly around nine years old may be right but it really is dependant on their stature and mental ability to understand the seriousness of shooting and safe conduct and their physical ability to hold and control a gun. A .410 in the correct circumstances could be perfect , but failure to hit anything can destroy any latent enthusiasm.

If a 28 bore is available they are a superb children's gun.

Many many of us learned by walking a shoot with an empty gun for a season.

Like a lot of the guys on here my own son started with air rifles at about 12 years old mainly to teach him safe gun handling and general shooting etiquette .

post-10089-0-34274600-1444773499_thumb.jpg

After about 6 months or so we got him his first 12 bore ,another year later and he was wiping the bloody floor with me .

My Grandson Jacob is 5 1/2.

He's had a 410 since he was one day old, but it's still too big for him.

I bought a nice shortened 410 from another PW member for Jacobs 5th. Birthday. Despite its significently shortened stock Jacob still doesn't fit the gun, so he is waiting patiently to take his first shot.

He's been to the clay shoot a few times and thoroughly enjoys himself helping Grandad.

webber

Excellent granddad and grandson pic...........his little smile says it all. Good on ya Blue ya beaut (not from Oz just thought I'd add that).

• 2 weeks later...

Never started a youngster off, but my dad used to take me to the Sunday shoots from probably around 4/5, by 6 I used to collect spent cartridges and intact clays from the site and line them up on the fence on the edge of the field and plink them off with an air rifle.

Started shooting clays at around 12 or so

My daughter is 7 now, been going to clay ranges for couple of years, she is keen to do the buttoning for us. Tried shooting static clays with a .410' (thanks DM), still I think I will give her more time to shoot (if she wants to). Not mature enough yet. This is my experience.

Edited by londonercsecse

As soon as they are able to handle a gun safely start off with a nice little 410 build their confidence up with nice easy targets then gradually build up to more challenging targets don't try with hard targets or they will get board and not enjoy it once board that's the end of it you have to make it as exiting as possible to keep them intrested

There should be no set age. It is purely down to the individuals' desire to shoot coupled with the ability so safely hold and mount whatever gun is available. Be careful though, dads of younger offspring to not good coaches make. A busy clay range with no dedicated coaching stance is also not an ideal environment. Dads will have a wish for their offspring to do well and will crack on and a keen youngster will not know when to stop. Both of these elements coupled with the need to rush because of a queue forming spell disaster. A good coach working in a relaxed environment will recognise from the students' body language when to pause for a break or if necessary stop the lesson at that point.before the damage is done.

totally agree with all Wymberley is saying here, we coach a lot of youngsters at the coaching lines at gamefairs. we normally have a couple of light weight 410 single barrels available and with shoulder gel pads, eye and ear protection we have some very happy youngsters after they have broken say 4or5 out of 10 incomers. they walk away chatting away to their parents full of it. a lot return to the same fairs the following year. you will have probably seen adverts with bakerboy coaching a young lad who did exceptionally well

we also do a lot with them on Basc Young Shot days, air rifles, shotguns, dog training, falconry and pigeon decoying. moving them on to walked up partridge days, some of the ones that started at 7 are now Young shot ambassadors in there late teens

I would say as long as the youngster is keen and big enough then you should make the best of that time as they soon grow out of interest in things, not going to be a "party pooper " but if its not at a clay ground then watch the law around" young persons and shotguns", just being with their dad may not be enough.

if I can help with more PM me and will do my best to help

flycoy

My 7 year old girl is shooting the air rifle in the back garden, it's still too big for her but it all goes into the safety/ getting a feel for it category.

She is supervised by myself and is always asking when she can come shooting with me, I've just got her the full camo etc so next month she's gonna spend a day in the hide with me and see if she enjoys it,

Start em as soon as they become interested, even if they can't hold a gun yet, it all sinks in with em

Atb

Flynny