ADVICE ON LIGHTWEIGHT OVER AND UNDER

7daysinaweek

Hi guys

i use my old baikal o/u fixed choke for pigeon and crows and the odd bunter. even though i have shot for many years with it i am considering a lighter and smaller gauge, possibly a 20 bore for the same pursuits.the reason for change is i am 8 stone wet have a very light frame and i am finding moving through the late side of 40 my muscle mass and tone is not what it used to be.i have found on a few occasions this year when rattling off consecutive shots (if i am lucky enough) that i am feeling it both in fatigue and also discomfort. i also walk a bit with the gun so a lighter tool required. as for a twenty i am willing to take on the cart costs, i have never shot one but have have heard a few people rave about them.

needs are:

o/u

ejector

multichoke

just about to purchase a .243 full mock up so budget is limited to around £500 for something second hand. am looking to buy in a couple of months time maybe, just looking for some advice from pw members and any suggestions would be wonderful.

FAST LEAD TO ALL!

It will be unlikely that you will reduce recoil by going light weight if that is you biggest issue , heavier the gun less the recoil , most comfortable would be a heavy gun and a light load.

Other than that a gas operated 20 bore semi auto would be as good as you would perhaps get recoil reduction wise .

What cartridges are you shooting from your 12 at present ?

hi fenboy many thanks for your reply

i use 30 gram 6 silver pigeon, i strongly take on board your input re lighter gun more recoil, definite food for thought. would a standard weight 20 cartridge give me reduced recoil than that of the 12 and a comparible pattern/velocity similar to the 12?. am looking to stick to an over and under

atb phil

I have apine issues and used to use a 12g silver pig with 28g carts, switched to a medalist 20g and 21g carts and not only is it and the ammo lighter but my hit rate has Increased noticeably

hi twiste

have you found the 20 a comparible velocity/distance similar for your silver 12.

atb phil

It will be unlikely that you will reduce recoil by going light weight if that is you biggest issue , heavier the gun less the recoil , most comfortable would be a heavy gun and a light load.

Other than that a gas operated 20 bore semi auto would be as good as you would perhaps get recoil reduction wise .

What cartridges are you shooting from your 12 at present ?

i use 30 gram 6 silver pigeon, i strongly take on board your input re lighter gun more recoil, definite food for thought. would a standard weight 20 cartridge give me reduced recoil than that of the 12 and a comparible pattern/velocity similar to the 12?. am looking to stick to an over and under

atb phil

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Hi, we have a Bettinsoli and Browning twenty bore in our house and I have to say I love shooting them both. I find felt recoil less even when using 24 grm in the twenty as opposed to 28 grm in the twelve bore sporter. both the twenty bores are a lot lighter to carry than the twelve and for most shooting I have never felt under gunned or at a disadvantage.

hi twiste

have you found the 20 a comparible velocity/distance similar for your silver 12.

atb phil

atb phil

Velocity is going to be no different 20s tend to pattern a little tighter , if I were you I would drop my cartridges for the 12 down to 28 gram a soft shooting clay load such as comp x will be fine on pigeon out to 45 yards and 24 gram is fine over decoys .

Try 24g or 28g cartridges if you don't want to feel it in the shoulder, 7 or 7.5 shot in a 12b.

If you do want to step down, 20b or 28b with 21g loads is light on the shoulder.

What you shouldn't do is step down to 20b and use 28g or more loads.

thanks stonepark if i decide to drop to a 20 i will keep that i mind

atb phil

Hi, we have a Bettinsoli and Browning twenty bore in our house and I have to say I love shooting them both. I find felt recoil less even when using 24 grm in the twenty as opposed to 28 grm in the twelve bore sporter. both the twenty bores are a lot lighter to carry than the twelve and for most shooting I have never felt under gunned or at a disadvantage.

certainly food for thought for me and sounds like a 20 is a very viable option as several threads also support, your info has been a great help

atb phil

Please do not take this the wrong way, as its just the wife has started using a cartridge its call i think lady load its a 28*7? She normaly shoots a 21 or24 grams as she has a light gun and even i can feel a kick with it if i use my 28grams. These lady loads are a lot better for her, gives her just that bit more lead.

Please do not take this the wrong way, as its just the wife has started using a cartridge its call i think lady load its a 28*7? She normaly shoots a 21 or24 grams as she has a light gun and even i can feel a kick with it if i use my 28grams. These lady loads are a lot better for her, gives her just that bit more lead.

thanks john, will take a look at them

atb phil

See if you can pick up a moderated one cheaply. Laporte are good, but expensive used (I just bought one)

Hushpower are good, but not ejector I believe

thanks for the reply

ejector is a must for me, my old yeoman sbs was a non ejector and fumbled too much on quick cart change for me when pigeon and crow shooting.

atb phil