Extended, knurled, chokes

B25Modelman

I've heard that wrapping PTFE plumber's tape a few turns around the threads stops that from working loose. Never tried it myself, mind you. Got extended Teague's in my shotty, and finger tight works for me. Get into the habit of checking them every 10 shots or so, since they do work loose.

I've heard that wrapping PTFE plumber's tape a few turns around the threads stops that from working loose. Never tried it myself, mind you. Got extended Teague's in my shotty, and finger tight works for me. Get into the habit of checking them every 10 shots or so, since they do work loose.

Now, that has to be worth a try. Thanks for posting. :good:

Sorry but that sounds insane, they will no doubt stop them working loose but I'm sure if the tolerances allowed for this practice then the manufacturers would have mentioned it.

Had a gun fitted by Nigel a few months back. Got on to the same subject on chokes and greese and all that. I use a 3/8 extended in the semi auto and had a whole done for that. I asked what greese and he said any thick, sticky greese and it stops it slipping what you get hot barrels. He gave me a couple pots of bright blue greese.

I did have briley extended but the castles kept getting caught up on nets in hide.

Had a gun fitted by Nigel a few months back. Got on to the same subject on chokes and greese and all that. I use a 3/8 extended in the semi auto and had a whole done for that. I asked what greese and he said any thick, sticky greese and it stops it slipping what you get hot barrels. He gave me a couple pots of bright blue greese.

I did have briley extended but the castles kept getting caught up on nets in hide.

Two reasons I use thick copper grease.

Wildfowling in harsh climates can sieze chokes and they don't shoot loose.

Sorry but that sounds insane, they will no doubt stop them working loose but I'm sure if the tolerances allowed for this practice then the manufacturers would have mentioned it.

Just as they mention that there may well be a need to tighten them every x number of shots, perhaps.

I know I'm in a very small minority - possibly of one - but it's said that chokes are the work of the devil. Well, he must have been in a right evil mood when he put the idea of multi chokes into someone's head. It's like having to stop the car every 25 miles to check the wheel nuts - I can't be doing with it. If you ignore the 'few turns' bit as OTT, there might just be something in this - but not the plumbers thick stuff but the engineering version. I cleaned the choke area on the barrel of the Maxus and two Teague chokes. On one of the latter I put one turn of the tape with just a small overlap to stop what would have been the leading edge if not covered being picked up by the barrel threads. I then screwed in the other noting the run down torque until it bottomed out and then nipped it by hand. Undoing it did not require much more effort than the 'nip'. I then tried the taped one, having first wiped the tape well into the threads. This ran down smoothly with very little increase in effort and was similarly nipped. However, when I tried to undo it I thought I may have needed the key (however, see below) but with a bit more effort than which was already over that required to loosen the untaped choke, it came undone and ran freely out.

At this point I had to stop as my broken finger started to tell me it had had enough. I'm grounded until at least the middle of next month but at the earliest opportunity after that I'm going to give it a go in the field. The one certain thing is that it can't do any harm.

Edited by wymberley

Just as they mention that there may well be a need to tighten them every x number of shots, perhaps.

I know I'm in a very small majority - possibly of one - but it's said that chokes are the work of the devil. Well, he must have been in a right evil mood when he put the idea of multi chokes into someone's head. It's like having to stop the car every 25 miles to check the wheel nuts - I can't be doing with it. If you ignore the 'few turns' bit as OTT, there might just be something in this - but not the plumbers thick stuff but the engineering version. I cleaned the choke area on the barrel of the Maxus and two Teague chokes. On one of the latter I put one turn of the tape with just a small overlap to stop what would have been the leading edge if not covered being picked up by the barrel threads. I then screwed in the other noting the run down torque until it bottomed out and then nipped it by hand. Undoing it did not require much more effort than the 'nip'. I then tried the taped one, having first wiped the tape well into the threads. This ran down smoothly with very little increase in effort and was similarly nipped. However, when I tried to undo it I thought I may have needed the key (however, see below) but with a bit more effort than which was already over that required to loosen the untaped choke, it came undone and ran freely out.

At this point I had to stop as my broken finger started to tell me it had had enough. I'm grounded until at least the middle of next month but at the earliest opportunity after that I'm going to give it a go in the field. The one certain thing is that it can't do any harm.

Interesting stuff mate, you'll have to let us know how it goes after shooting. If it does prevent the chokes from working loose and has no detrimental effect on POI, the only thing I can think of to watch out for is to ensure that the tape is heat-stable. We all know how hot the barrels can get during a clay session.

Interesting stuff mate, you'll have to let us know how it goes after shooting. If it does prevent the chokes from working loose and has no detrimental effect on POI, the only thing I can think of to watch out for is to ensure that the tape is heat-stable. We all know how hot the barrels can get during a clay session.

Stable from -200 to +260 degrees C.

Edited by wymberley

• 6 months later...

Choke installed as per Post #34 except that as I was shooting I applied the.grease as supplied by Teague. The run down torque was a liitle higher with a positive (ie, as if you were assembling two quality components) feel to it. 61 shots using Rottweil Special 12F 1 & 1/8oz load. Choke remained as installed.