If it's in you it's in you.

JDog

Yesterday I was out game shooting and I met up with someone I have known for many years. The man is widely known as a keen pigeon shooting man and his exploits have been publicised in the past.

The man is in his sixties and as keen as ever health permitting on pigeon shooting. Only he took on some very high pigeons whilst we were waiting for partridge to come over a high belt of trees. His personal best in a day to his own gun was over 900 pigeons, all picked. That day started at 5 am with a long drive to the other side of the country. He told me he shot for ten hours then spent four hours (with some help) picking up until it was dark then he drove home. He arrived home after midnight.

If it's in you it's in you. He will never stop shooting pigeons until he physically cannot do it or he drops dead. There is keen then there is keen.

Yesterday I was out game shooting and I met up with someone I have known for many years. The man is widely known as a keen pigeon shooting man and his exploits have been publicised in the past.

The man is in his sixties and as keen as ever health permitting on pigeon shooting. Only he took on some very high pigeons whilst we were waiting for partridge to come over a high belt of trees. His personal best in a day to his own gun was over 900 pigeons, all picked. That day started at 5 am with a long drive to the other side of the country. He told me he shot for ten hours then spent four hours (with some help) picking up until it was dark then he drove home. He arrived home after midnight.

If it's in you it's in you. He will never stop shooting pigeons until he physically cannot do it or he drops dead. There is keen then there is keen.

can you name this fellow

Whenever DB and I are out fishing, walking and even at the pub garden we are looking for pigeons and watching the antics and how they perform in different situations. I do not think you ever loose the passion once your hooked. I have people say to me do you get disappointed if you only shoot a low number , the answer is NO I love shooting pigeons and always will.

Well done JDog your friend has fantastic tally ninety an hour average . I heard of a seven hundred total last year on rape stubble and thought that was good.

Once your a shooter. Any bird flying across field
of view. You automatically draw a bead on it in your
mind were ever you are.
My son who started shooting six years ago
found this after a short time. It never leaves you.

The man whoever he is must have been shattered
for days after that and suffering from shell shock.

Well done that man.

For one gun to shoot and hit a target, every 40 seconds, for 10 hours straight, would put most people in Hospital.

Its hard to even imagine 900 dead pigeons on the ground in one group.

That is an amazing feat and must be some sort of world record.

I agree its difficult to drive round without looking for pigeons everywhere you go.

Its a bit the same for fishermen, appraising every bit of water they pass by.

i hit my PB about a month back 137 pigeons in just over 3 hours and that was the hardest 3 hours I've had in the field what with picking up and dressing dead birds plus catching walkers didn`t even have time to empty the flask, my shoulder was in half banging 300 carts in that time scale so i couldn`t imagine shooting 900+pigeons in ten hours god knows how many carts they shot, MAD.

he must have taken a couple of pic`s ask him can he put one on this site or if not send a pic to your phone so you can, love to see that load. :yes:

Edited by cooooper1

I know of two guns sharing a hide that picked over 900. The were shot over stubble. They told me, upon reflection many years later that it wasn't sport. The birds were suicidal . bang bang two every time or more. Those days are long gone round here. Can't remember the last time I made a ton.

J Dog, I know exactly what you mean. Up at 02.00, leave London at 03.00 to get to North Yorkshire around 06.45. With breakfast had and pick up loaded it's off to recce and shoot for the day. Possibly a roe stalk in the evening. Leave for London at 03.00 next day and at my desk around 08.00. I wouldn't do this for a reared pheasant or partridge day but if you're bitten by the pigeon bug it often never leaves you.

Pigeon shooting in my opinion is more addictive than any thing else in the world. To shoot 900 birds is a feat in itself but to stay concentrated all day is unreal.

My brother who lives quite away from me also shoots and he was telling me about a mate of his also a shooter who had passed away. When they wen't to scatter his Ashes

around his favorite pigeon hide a pigeon flew out of the tree. just a coincidence? who knows but it turned a sad day for them in to a great talking point in the pub after.

hi milo and all well this week up delivering to Peterhead are and shooting pigeons then home to Scottish borders more pigeon then durham to great Oakley for powder and shooting yes its in me have gun will travel so if you see a hi lux with the reg number PIGEON give me a flash and I will give you a few samples to try cheers george

Doesn't he pay people to find pigeons and get permission for him too? 900 is an unbelievable feat, most people couldn't or wouldn't want to do that myself included! It wouldn't be untrue to say I'm obsessed with pigeon shooting though, I'll do anything I can to rearrange work around a good days pigeon shooting when the opportunity arises....there's just something about it, never ever gets boring.