legal magnets

hi all about a month ago I took over 60 000 goose carts to a new gunshop in the Aberdeen area and as usual I try and get a shot at some pigeons now I have a magnet but did not use it that day I keep my gadgets till later or the birds not coming in any how coming of the field a police car pulled up near me and asked if I was or had been using a magnet as they were looking for other people using tape recorders for to pull in the geese and he told me a pigeon magnet was illegal as it was classed as a mechanical aid and that's against the law so whats the answer people

Any mechanically-propelled vehicle in immediate pursuit of birds for the purpose of killing or taking.

Now the question before the court would centre on what constitutes 'immediate pursuit' and does the 'vehicle' itself have to be for the 'purpose of killing or taking' rather than attracting the bird to then be shot?

Also what is the concept of 'mechanically propelled'? This is very broad potentially. A perfect example of bad legislative draftsmanship.

I don't think the officer would know the answer and I can't find any case law.

Edited by Dr D

However, i should have said since the purpose of the mechanical devise in question is neither to take or kill a bird in and of itself I wouldn't imagine a prosecutor concluding that the prosecutorial test would be met.

I had drawn a conclusion, but upon reflection it could have been a hostage to fortune. I will reserve judgement until we hear from others.

Edited by Dr D

By vehicle it would appear to be the common meaning, which is to say car, truck, quad bike, etc, rather than any more legally esoteric or wider ranging definition along the lines of tool.

(3)If any person uses any mechanically-propelled vehicle or boat or any aircraft in immediate pursuit of a wild bird for the purpose of driving, killing or taking that bird, he shall be guilty of an offence against this Act and be liable to a special penalty:

Do you really think that they would be sold if it was illegal to use one?

Yes I do. It not illegal to sell a number of items I can think of. But it is illegal to use them for particular purposes. For example, an electronic call. That said, I don't think it illegal to use a magnet.