homemade elderflower champers, very agreeable!

7daysinaweek

hi chaps

hers a pic of my batch of this years elderflower champagne, i have made 75 litres this year from a 90 litre ferment. for the last 5-6 years i have done a 30 litre a year and after dishing out to eager family and friends as a very welcomed gift i always end up with hardly any for myself. so this year i ramped production up. what you see in the pic is about 60 litres of the wonder brew. very bubbly, 6% abv fro specific gravity check at 3 month post bottling and very agreeable especially when chilled. this looks like a lot but after the usual que of friends etc who are eager to test each years batch it will soon be gone. i make it every year and use the exact same process, i love the way each years flowers can slightly change the taste strength and aroma. this year flowers from my usual patch are stronger.

in the pics as you can see i use 750ml high strength swing tops but in the last couple of years have gone over to 600ml pet bottles suitable for secondary fermentation.i have had in the past some scary explosive bottle moments, you live and learn and now i do it the safe way!

what have anyone elses batches turned out like this year?

post-72392-0-14353200-1445204110_thumb.jpg

Edited by 7daysinaweek

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that looks very well organised. It is a fine drink.

Are you able to share your recipe?

hi malk

yes it a super drink one of my staples been making for may years, it is lovely at room temp or i prefer cold, never ceases to amaze me how fizzy it becomes through the secondary fermetation process and it keeps its fizz in the glass for ages a lot longer than any bottled champers you will find. lovely elderflower and very potent, mine always averages the 4-7% abv mark. variables due to the very nature of the wild yeasts which are the predominant yeast for the fermentation process.

will post up in the next couple of weeks just got a lot on at the moment i also have done complete course of videos on youtube thingy which i go through the complete process visually from start to finish and i will put link up. if you decide to make some next year just follow the process, if you dont want to watch all the vids you can always contact me and would be happy to give you the exact steps.

atb 7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

• 3 weeks later...

here we are chaps and chapesses the finished product very fizzy and very agreeable. here is a link to the complete process of 9 videos i made on youtube, i go through every step of how i make this marvelous brew. any questions ask away.

basically you mix all the ingredients and ferment i bucket for 12-13 days then bottle and put half a teaspoon of sugar into 500ml bottle and drink from eight weeks later. please note you must use high strength bottles suitable for secondary fermentation. if you watch the videos i show you what happens if you dont at your own peril. i advise watching the vids if you want to see the whole process.

atb

Edited by 7daysinaweek