whats happening with GMP?

davids3511

I had my vist over 17 weeks ago to check gun safe and general security. At the time I was told it was taking about 8 weeks. At the 8 week mark I sent them a quick email to check they had everything they needed. They said they did and that it was now taking 12-14 weeks for the vetting process. I know they are having to look at all the licenses in the area but it seems to be going on and on. It's a shotgun application by the way. Anybody have any insights?

Seems to be happening all over the country with only a few exceptions, down to cutbacks, austerity etc and fed up FEO's packing in (or being made redundant). Can't exactly take your business elsewhere. Chief Constables know it and don't really care (some are anti gun ownership to start with).

However if G4S ever get the franchise it will make the police look like Olympic sprinters by comparison. 5 year ticket apply for renewal 2-3 years before expiry.

I had my vist over 17 weeks ago to check gun safe and general security. At the time I was told it was taking about 8 weeks. At the 8 week mark I sent them a quick email to check they had everything they needed. They said they did and that it was now taking 12-14 weeks for the vetting process. I know they are having to look at all the licenses in the area but it seems to be going on and on. It's a shotgun application by the way. Anybody have any insights?

7 months for my variation and security check, then my licence gets hand delivered missing a gun, plus a variation they refused and a another space for a 22lr....I was told 3 months on a variation now...I think there swamped and also moving offices..

I understand that a new regime in GMP has meant that applications are taking longer. Whilst it might take longer that it used to do, you have to bear in mind years of lightning service.

They can't be brilliant all the time.

I do understand this and I'm sure they are doing there best but it is disappointing to be told 8 weeks which isn't met, then 12-14 which has passed and now Im sailing off into the unknown.

What choice do I have other than to wait? I'm just a bit disappointed with the changing goal posts. If they had told me 5/6/7 months I'd have had to deal with that but im sick of popping home at lunch time in the hope it's turned up time and time again. Whats your experience with them? Not good im guessing. Should i not bother putting a shotgun on my santa list this year?

Now I don't want you feeling like its just your force :lol:

12 weeks ago I sent my renewal for my sgc,I had my visit yesterday :lol: and guess it will be a good while longer until it drops on the mat :good: had to lodge my guns with a mate until my cert is renewed,thank god its a sgc I would hate to think how long a fac would take them :yes:

I'm afraid most of us are in the same position wait, wait and wait some more :yes: that's just the way it is :good: BB

Oh and this is my 4th renewal,everything the same as last time :yes: lets just hope it goes to a 10 year turnaround :good:

Edited by Bluebarrels

12 weeks ago I sent my renewal for my sgc,I had my visit yesterday :lol: and guess it will be a good while longer until it drops on the mat :good: had to lodge my guns with a mate until my cert is renewed,thank god its a sgc I would hate to think how long a fac would take them :yes:

I'm afraid most of us are in the same position wait, wait and wait some more :yes: that's just the way it is :good: BB

Oh and this is my 4th renewal,everything the same as last time :yes: lets just hope it goes to a 10 year turnaround :good:

I know, I'm just starting to feel a bit pathetic popping home at lunch time with some daft excuse when really I'm just home to check the post.

Bluebarrels di you not ask for a section 7

I can only see the situation becoming worse as further cuts are made to the Police across the country. On the list of priorities as they face having to make staff redundant, close or reduce the size of certain departments which are essential, the plight of us gun owners is right down at the bottom. A complete national restructuring is, in my opinion, the only viable option in the coming years.

feel for you guys, i am under merseyside and have always had excellent service from them over the last 20 years. recent shotgun fac renewal, variation and coterminous all done and dusted in 10 weeks. as said in threads i think that some failures can be directly attributed staff resources or new staff into the role and not experienced in liscensing. fortunately for me at present merseyside has very experienced and helpful staff that have been in service for years and my local feo is excellent.

hope you get sorted soon.

It was on the radio yesterday that shooting organisations have been pressuring GMP to speed up the process but because of the 10,000 licences in their area that they are having to re examine is severely slowing the process down but it's what they have to do at the minute. I've had my licence 4 years and they've always been spot on with me and many, many others. I think they deserve a bit of slack at the minute (granted it would be annoying) but if everyone keeps phoning asking where their licence is up to in the system it's just adding unnecessary work for them to get through on top of their busy workload.

Apparently GMP have so far confiscated 60 firearms. ATB 425

It was on the radio yesterday that shooting organisations have been pressuring GMP to speed up the process but because of the 10,000 licences in their area that they are having to re examine is severely slowing the process down but it's what they have to do at the minute. I've had my licence 4 years and they've always been spot on with me and many, many others. I think they deserve a bit of slack at the minute (granted it would be annoying) but if everyone keeps phoning asking where their licence is up to in the system it's just adding unnecessary work for them to get through on top of their busy workload.

Apparently GMP have so far confiscated 60 firearms. ATB 425

I do understand this and dont wish to pile more work on them. Its just the missed deadlines that is irratating. If they'ed just said it'll be 6 months i'd have to live with that. It's when they say 8 weeks, then 12-14 and both are well in the past at this stage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...