Does sorghum around maize stop deer?

You will most likely be inundated with offers of help, if deer are responsible for that

Roe mostly and few muntjac eat some of maize where I shoot but once it is on it's way they tend leave it alone.

I have been told it becomes bitter and is of little interest to them, not sure if that is true or not?

Despite pressure from some of our guns we planted sorghum for our main cover crop again this season.The shoot is in an area with a large number of fallow deer present.They are controlled to a certain extent but with several safe havens nearby they remain a neusence.As an experiment one of our guns grew some maize from seed in his greenhouse.It was later planted out amongst the sorghum.It only lasted a day or two and was soon eaten whilst the sorghum remained untouched.Apparently the sorghum has a nicotine taste which deer and other mammals do not like.Would certainly recommend sorghum as an alternative for next season.

In the space of a couple of days deer have obliterated my maize cover strips.

Does planting a couple of rows of sorghum around the outside do anything to put the deer off? Or is this an old wive's tail?

Sorry to hear, and see, the bad news. Might be worth putting a couple of trail cams out to establish what is causing the damage. Then you can come up with a plan to stop it.