Ground Closures - South Yorks

Danger-Mouse

Why is wortley closing danger mouse? Is it there own land or do they lease it.

Is there no chance of creating some kind of syndicate to keep it open?

The land is leased. When the ground originally started one of the partners, Paul, negotiated the lease with the landowner who he already knew socially. She agreed as a favour to him. He is now retiring and the landowner isn`t willing to renegotiate the lease if he is not involved.

I believe the situation at J3 is similar, ie the lease period has ended and the landowner is unwilling to extend it.

Hi guys!

I'm from South Yorks...and I was driving back from Manchester the other week on a Sunday morning.

I was coming back over through Penistone and saw what looked to be a Sunday Morning clay shoot but I've not been able to find any details of it.

I've just had a look on Google Maps and it looks like it's on one of these roads: Hartcliffe Hill Rd, Mossley Rd or Cranberry Road - Cubley.

Anyone ever been up there? I keep meaning to have a drive past but not had chance yet!

Cheers.

Hi guys!

I'm from South Yorks...and I was driving back from Manchester the other week on a Sunday morning.

I was coming back over through Penistone and saw what looked to be a Sunday Morning clay shoot but I've not been able to find any details of it.

I've just had a look on Google Maps and it looks like it's on one of these roads: Hartcliffe Hill Rd, Mossley Rd or Cranberry Road - Cubley.

Anyone ever been up there? I keep meaning to have a drive past but not had chance yet!

Cheers.

Hi Bob.

I believe the details for the shoot you saw are in this thread. http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/322758-barnsley-shooting-pals/?hl=penistone&do=findComment&comment=2923102

Thanks Danger-Mouse.

I've had a look through the thread...I don't think it is the one I was thinking of according to Nigel's directions (down Hoylandswaine Hill, red gate on the left before the train bridge) but it is certainly one for me to try at some stage.

I'm from Penistone so it's within walking distance - I often hear guns going off on a Sunday morning but always thought it were a couple of farms on the A628!

Need to get a gun first though, dropped in at Browns in Sheffield the other day, couple of guys in there were spot on in helping me. Thinking of having a look at Mapplewell Fieldsports & Shooters World this weekend, time permitting!

Thanks Danger-Mouse.

I've had a look through the thread...I don't think it is the one I was thinking of according to Nigel's directions (down Hoylandswaine Hill, red gate on the left before the train bridge) but it is certainly one for me to try at some stage.

I'm from Penistone so it's within walking distance - I often hear guns going off on a Sunday morning but always thought it were a couple of farms on the A628!

Need to get a gun first though, dropped in at Browns in Sheffield the other day, couple of guys in there were spot on in helping me. Thinking of having a look at Mapplewell Fieldsports & Shooters World this weekend, time permitting!

BOB21

Just to let you know Glen is the chap you need to speak to at Mapplewell Fieldsports while he can get hold of new pieces he does have a number of very nice tidy 12g and a very nice 20 bore (or he did when I was in there last Friday ) second hand pieces. I do know he was heading north of the boarder stalking for the first part of this week.

Cheers Nige

Hello there's white waters just off the A1 at Blyth.

Nice set up and 24p per clay on a card mate type system.

It does have a website to if you google it.

Yeah good ground and Mark who owns/runs it is a nice guy. I haven`t been up there for a while but I used to like popping in for a round or two of skeet.

Just to let you know Glen is the chap you need to speak to at Mapplewell Fieldsports while he can get hold of new pieces he does have a number of very nice tidy 12g and a very nice 20 bore (or he did when I was in there last Friday ) second hand pieces. I do know he was heading north of the boarder stalking for the first part of this week.

Cheers Nige

Just seen this Nige!

I'll called around at about 4.30 Saturday afternoon but the shutters had dropped!

I'll try again Friday lunch hopefully!

Just to let everyone know, it was the last shoot at Wortley today. Although it was originally intended the ground would remain open until Jan the decision was made to close earlier. I had a bit of an inside scoop on this but unfortunately couldn`t release the info.

One of my regular and favourite shoots I`m sad to see it go.

Saw this on Facebook earlier and is a shame never had chance to shoot there either.

Was st J3 today and their last shoot is 22nd and at the minute they don't have anywhere else to go but are going to keep trying. They leaving the Facebook page active so they can post details if they get a new location for.

• 1 month later...

The land is leased. When the ground originally started one of the partners, Paul, negotiated the lease with the landowner who he already knew socially. She agreed as a favour to him. He is now retiring and the landowner isn`t willing to renegotiate the lease if he is not involved.

I believe the situation at J3 is similar, ie the lease period has ended and the landowner is unwilling to extend it.

I did hear on the rumour vill that j3 was getting flooded to extend the nature res, at potteric carr, great shame lovely shoot