Is UK pigeon shooting an all year pursuit?

Tomo-1

Hi.

I have recently decided to do some pigeon shooting again after a break of about 25 years (for various career type reasons). Cropping has changed a bit around here (North Essex/South Suffolk) but the main staples for the woodie appear to be basically the same. I intend mostly wildfowling during the winter months then swapping over to pigeon, or am I missing out on some good sport? What does everyone do? Is it really worth decoying all year round, especially when the birds are in enormous flocks over winter? Thanks.

It can be very difficult to get a decent bag of pigeon in the winter when they are flocked up, I sill go occasionally really just for the benefit of keeping on good terms with my farmers as its through the winter the pigeons cause them their biggest problem ( other than those that feed on standing cereals in the summer)

I find it difficult to get any decent sport for much of the year, although I have plenty of permission, unless you're there at the right time on the right day it can be really tricky. If you work bankers hours, which I do, then I'm never there to see what's moving around and on what fields/crops. If you're a farmer or a land worker, then clearly you get that chance, and off you go, but for me I turn up on a Saturday hoping for some sport, and half the time end up not even setting up!

Best of luck starting up again

Jon

Hi.

I have recently decided to do some pigeon shooting again after a break of about 25 years (for various career type reasons). Cropping has changed a bit around here (North Essex/South Suffolk) but the main staples for the woodie appear to be basically the same. I intend mostly wildfowling during the winter months then swapping over to pigeon, or am I missing out on some good sport? What does everyone do? Is it really worth decoying all year round, especially when the birds are in enormous flocks over winter? Thanks.

I wish it was!! Used to be, more or less, with a quiet spell in early summer. Now it's quiet all year with a burst of excitement at drilliing time and another at harvest. Even then, the birds are spoilt for choice and hard to pin down in my area.