SGC renewal, see how long it takes

So that's the new SGC renewal process (in Scotland) begun for me.

I received the forms and dually read over them a couple of times before starting to fill in. I was surprised that I have only 14 days to fill the forms in from date of receipt, even more surprising is that I do not have to send it to Police Scotland, it will be collected by the visiting officer when he comes to check me out, although I did have to send them the cheque for £49 which has been received but not cashed. So I am now waiting for them to contact me regarding a visit. As I work offshore it may be a bit difficult to arrange around my rota but my good lady wife knows what my rota is and if I get a call when I am away she is going to arrange a suitable date for a visit, I hope.

The forms are a bit different from the past and I think easer to fill in. Only one referee required for a SGC, a few more medical questions with the usual section for GP questions and authorisation for medical records to be accessed. The form makes reference to any previous convictions written warnings etc with dates. As I had 3 penalty points some time way back in the nineties and cant remember the dates I contacted Northern Division Fire Arms Office and was told that as long as I mention that I have had these points they will be able to find them on record.

I really cant see why in todays age of electronic records that all this information which is already on record cannot just be updated. I understand of course that things can and will change in 5 years but cant see the point of reinventing the wheel again.

Anyway I will see how long the process takes and keep everyone updated.

BBL

Five years ago first time applicant in Cheshire 14 days from application to certificate through the letter box.Renewal in April 6 weeks and was beginning to worry certificate dropped through the letter box on the day of renewal, my guess is it's a sign of police cuts and police staff shortages, (i should know i'm one of them).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had my visit on Monday night and it all went well. The PC was well on the ball. Not long after his visit I was on the phone to my friend who was my referee (his mobile) and while on the phone to him his land line went and it was the FEO contacting him.

When he was in we got chatting about his feelings on the air rifle laws coming into force next year and he said that the SNP government don't have a clue. All they are concerned about was the fact that the bill was passed and have said to the powers that be in Police Scotland make it happen no matter what. He was telling me that there currently 7 officers that deal with firearm certificates & licences in the Northern Division full time and that very soon this is going to be handed over to 2 civilian clerks to cover the whole area. and guess what he has to train them. Its not going to work. I don't intend to apply for a fire arms licence for my air rifle so I wont be keeping my air rifle

Anyway I hope to have my renewal through soon and go through the process again in 5 years

Well I had my visit on Monday night and it all went well. The PC was well on the ball. Not long after his visit I was on the phone to my friend who was my referee (his mobile) and while on the phone to him his land line went and it was the FEO contacting him.

When he was in we got chatting about his feelings on the air rifle laws coming into force next year and he said that the SNP government don't have a clue. All they are concerned about was the fact that the bill was passed and have said to the powers that be in Police Scotland make it happen no matter what. He was telling me that there currently 7 officers that deal with firearm certificates & licences in the Northern Division full time and that very soon this is going to be handed over to 2 civilian clerks to cover the whole area. and guess what he has to train them. Its not going to work. I don't intend to apply for a fire arms licence for my air rifle so I wont be keeping my air rifle

Anyway I hope to have my renewal through soon and go through the process again in 5 years

I seem to have missed the air rifle/fac thing. Is this only in Scotland?

I seem to have missed the air rifle/fac thing. Is this only in Scotland?

yes,and as far as i am aware the polis /civi polis workers have not got any idea how its going to work,not enough staff for a kick off,nor could they tell me all the criteria we need to own one.

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's my certificate received not to bad really only 48 days so that's it for another 5 years. Busy times ahead for the Fire Arms inspection department in Police Scotland so I am glad its all sorted. Don't know what I am going to do with my air rifle yet, I think I may just hand it in.

Whatever you do dont scrap it if its something like an older BSA etc